Crack in Cooling Pipe tube??

This is a discussion on Crack in Cooling Pipe tube?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have just discovered today, due to smoke from the radiator area, a small crack (about 2 inches long) in ...

Crack in Cooling Pipe tube??

I have just discovered today, due to smoke from the radiator area, a small crack (about 2 inches long) in what I believe is the tube that leads to the radiator.

I have it jammed with an undershirt right now to stop the leak, but when the engine starts to warm up it begins to spit out green liquid.

Am I right that that is coolant? Would it be ok to JB Weld it or something similar, or would it be something that needs to be replaced.

I wish I had a picture right now to show but I dont.

Any thoughts on the green fluid leaking out and possible fixes please let me know.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it is just a tube this will be an easy fix. If it is on the radiator then you have just experienced the infamous radiator crack.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Well the part that is cracked is plastic so Im pretty sure its not the radiator itself.

The top of the radiator is plastic. Is it a tube or is it on the radiator itself?

If it's a tube, you need to replace the tube. You don't try and repair split tubes.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No turns out its the plastic top piece of the radiator...the crack is about an inch and a half to two inches long. So you think it could be repaired with JB Weld or some crack sealer?

No sir you need a new radiator. Don't drive your car hard or you will mess up your head gaskets. Search for cracked radiator it is a common problem on high mileage cars.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Yeah ive been lookin up solutions and found a couple different ways of doing it with JB Weld, I figure it would be inexpensive to try it and people say it works but sometimes is only a temporary fix.

Hopefully I dont have to get a new radiator and that this works, but ill be keeping a close eye on my fix so i dont screw anything else up.

Don't bother with trying to fix it. You need a new radiator. Period.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

as mentioned you will most likely in time need a new radiator, however I have personally fixed many radiators with JB and they have held until the person had time to get money to replace it...Its a huge gamble considering its your cooling system, however If you short on cash for now it might be worth a shot, but def. put it on the priority list...