Troubleshooting a scraping sound?

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting a scraping sound? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors last weekend. Ever since, I've heard an intermittent scratching sound ...

I Support ClubWRX

Troubleshooting a scraping sound?

Hi all,

I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors last weekend. Ever since, I've heard an intermittent scratching sound that from my position in the drivers seat, seems to be coming from the right rear door area. It's most noticeable when I engine brake at low RPMs in second gear. I thought I had maybe put the pad wear indicator on backwards, creating the scratching sound, but when I took it into the shop to get the fluid flushed (and refilled with ATE Superblue!), they said everything checked out brakes-wise, and that I had done a great job, so now I'm not sure where to check. (I did tell them about the sound, but they couldn't reproduce it.)

I don't hear it under braking, or when the car is driving smoothly, only once I lift off the throttle in the lower gears. It's sort of a metal-on-metal sound, noticeable, but not "holy crap, I need to pull over" loud. Turning left or right doesn't seem to affect it much, and pushing on the suspension when the car is still won't do anything either.

I'll try to get a video, but it's really hard to pinpoint, so it might take awhile.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go to an open parking lot and do a serious of rather quick figure 8's do you hear the noise? Alot of times what happens is people install new rotors and there is a slight rust buildup behind the backing plate of the dust shield on the hub, anyways the rust pushes the dust shield out and ever so slightly contacts the lip on the rotor and makes a god awful noise..might be somewhere to check, of course you have to pull the rotor off again to check it...