2004 OEM radiator is failing. How long do I have to replace?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 OEM radiator is failing. How long do I have to replace? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It was fine earlier this week. The seal all along the top tank has started to leak. Did not smell ...

I Support ClubWRX

2004 OEM radiator is failing. I have the Koyo to install.

It was fine earlier this week. The seal all along the top tank has started to leak. Did not smell coolant all day after driving nearly 100 miles. I need to do another 100 miles tomorrow. Bad idea? Take along some water? Have a tow truck follow me (not really)?

What is the best all aluminum replacement? Koyo?

This is the darker green Subaru coolant ooze:

Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-24-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    It was fine earlier this week. The seal all along the top tank has started to leak. Did not smell coolant all day after driving nearly 100 miles. I need to do another 100 miles tomorrow. Bad idea?
    It looks to me to be the early stages, I would feel fairly comfortable driving another 100 miles

Take along some water?
    Absolutely

Have a tow truck follow me (not really)?
    Do you have one on retainer
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi Sasquatch!

Sorry about the juicy rad. I've had two fail so far. That is a lot of fluid loss though... I'd be worried about driving 100 mi and would consider renting a car instead if need be.

I do not use the all-Al rad; I use an OEM replacement instead. This means my third rad looks just like yours, or like my second or first. However, the rad I bought is not (NOT!) a Calsonic (the brand SOA uses). It is a Koyo.

I rang up Koyo and spoke to someone very helpful. He told me they make both an OEM style and a "race" all-Al. I have been pleased with my OEM style Koyo and would not hesitate to use their products, based not just on the fit of the part I bought but also because of my tendency to "buy" the maker and/or vendor, not just the part.

I am aware that the Koyo all-Al rads cost more than CX or CRX or however they're spelled, and more than Mishimoto, but I think it's a quality brand for what it's worth. (A friend with the Csomething rad in his Acura had the drain plug leak on arrival and had to source another one etc. The welds look good on it though.)

(For those with automatic transmissions: the OEM radiator has a separate cooler for transmission fluid, and the Koyo OEM replacement also has this -- so if you have a manual, just ignore the fittings like I have -- but the "race" all-Al apparently does not, so you have to ask and verify this, and if so, figure out a transmission fluid cooler in addition to the Al rad).

I bought my Koyo from a local radiator shop.

SD

For your coast:
    Koyo
    390 Starke Road Unit2 Carlstadt,
    NJ 07072, U.S.A.
    Tel: +1-201-896-6676
    Fax: +1-201-896-6650
    Toll Free: +1-877-896-6676
    E-mail: sales@koyorad.com

For my coast:
    Koyo
    15 Doppler Irvine, CA 92618,
    U.S.A.
    Tel: +1-949-727-7054
    Fax: +1-949-727-7445(Sales)
    +1-949-727-3629(Administration)
    E-mail: sales@koyorad.com

They should be able to confirm the correct part number for your -- or any -- application and provide a list of local vendors should you need the rad ASAP.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-17-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Spiros. I would think an all aluminum would be best, no?

My neighbor is an automotive tech for a dealer. He seems to think I'd be OK with this one for a time. I had a Ford Probe in the last century that did the same thing twice. As I recall I had a couple of weeks to replace them.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    The all-Al seems like a more durable, attractive option, yes, and since you autox routinely you could always use some extra capacity I suppose. The Koyo OEMs are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the Koyo Al rads though, so my choice was made for me. If you have the $ I don't see why not to go Al, just be aware that you may have to trim the hoses to get a good fit (I don't know for sure). Also be ready to use different screws for the cooling fans if need be.

There is also Fluidyne but I've never had one and the all-Al version is well over $500 I think, so more expensive than the Koyo.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The all-Al seems like a more durable, attractive option, yes, and since you autox routinely you could always use some extra capacity I suppose. The Koyo OEMs are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the Koyo Al rads though, so my choice was made for me. If you have the $ I don't see why not to go Al, just be aware that you may have to trim the hoses to get a good fit (I don't know for sure). Also be ready to use different screws for the cooling fans if need be.
    OK, thanks as always.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck!
    SD

I Support ClubWRX
    Just ordered an all aluminum Koyo - $325 shipped. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    OK congrats. It'll be interesting to hear your impressions of fit and finish.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK congrats. It'll be interesting to hear your impressions of fit and finish.
    I've seen them on other WRXs and my impressions were good. Seeing the entire piece will be nice, although I wish the circumstances were a bit different. :/
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just ordered an all aluminum Koyo - $325 shipped. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.
    Excellent choice. It's what I was going to post.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Excellent choice. It's what I was going to post.
    I appreciate your opinion - thanks.

I nervously had the WRX out for a 70 mile drive today. There does not appear to have been any more leakage.
    Mods & Pics

Silver lining...a broken part is always a good excuse to upgrade to performance aftermarket
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Silver lining...a broken part is always a good excuse to upgrade to performance aftermarket
    I suppose. From what I have read here and elsewhere I knew it was only a matter of time before the OEM failed. The timing could have been better (the wheel powdercoat issue).
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the Koyo yesterday. Looks nice ... One more under hood item to keep OCD shiny. Gorgeous welds. Super light weight. I hope it all fits nice.

Saturday is install day: Partly sunny, with a high near 38. North wind between 5 and 7 mph. Brrr ...

Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast