Secondary Air Valve Bank. Advice/Comments Requested.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Secondary Air Valve Bank. Advice/Comments Requested. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone. I am a new member to this site but I am looking to see if anyone else has ...

Secondary Air Valve Bank. Advice/Comments Requested.

Hello everyone.

I am a new member to this site but I am looking to see if anyone else has been in my situation yet.

First off, I own a 2006 Subaru WRX Limited A/T. 98,000 miles and everything is stock except for a Greddy Catback Exhaust and a Dropin K&N Air Filter (Original Airbox is still intact)

Just about a month ago I received a check engine light. I went like everyone else does and visited my local autozone and got a free check and got this from the guy who ran code scanner. P2441- secondary air injection system switching valve stuck closed bank 1.

This code looked familiar. I know there are 2 banks for the secondary air injection. Of which both have been replaced at my local Subaru dealership within a span of less then 2 years. This does not erk me, the price of a ~$600 valve + labor is what does.

I decided to take it to a highly reknown mechanic in my area today to let him check it out this time. I get a call that he has taken the valve apart and underneath it where the valves sit was all most like MUD. Thick brown water, they had taken the valve out and jumped it to run it and it spat out MUD. He had asked me from the phone wether or not if I had this car submerged in water. This is not the case this car has never even been off road besides my driveway. He is at the moment letting the valve submerge overnight in some type of fluid as they have gotten the valve to move with wd-40, and they are trying to save me some money.

Is there anyone else that has gotten this problem? This should not be happening and the fact that the dealership never told me about this mud and just replacing the valve is a big letdown. Is this something worth bringing up with Subaru themselves?

Upon request I could also post pictures that were taken of the water that came out of the valve. I was there in person to see the puddles on the floor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, it's a fundamental design fault. The pump produces water that has nowhere to drain. Eventually, it rusts and/or the valves seize up.

I'm in the middle of trying to claim the cost of the repair (a lot!) back from Subaru on the basis that it's a design fault in the first place and not normal wear and tear. Mine's a 2006 WRX Type UK, unmodified.

This happened to my 06 as well, but I just ripped that piece of **** out and put in blocking plated on the heads... The dealer wanted $1200 to replace it and I also called SOA about it and got nowhere with them (big surprise there *insert sarcasm here*)... Good luck with it though... If I were you just rip the damn thing out to save yourself the headache...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

-_- Now I have a new summer project. I planned on deleting it, but now I have a reason to put a rush on it. Any specific mileage where the build up begins to do hurty stuff to the engine? Stage 1 2006 WRX Limited
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.