Subaru wont star. Need Help ASAP.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subaru wont star. Need Help ASAP. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I need to fix this issue as soon as possible. I have class on Monday and I have already ...

Unhappy Subaru wont star. Need Help ASAP.

Well, I need to fix this issue as soon as possible. I have class on Monday and I have already missed a few days of class so I'm in borderline for failing due to attendance (don't want that to happen). Recently while getting ready to leave the parking lot in the campus the car started to shake, not in a normal way. Then the car began to smoke from the engine bay on the top left side around where the exhaust is located. So instead of sleeping in my car I carefully drove it to home, 24 miles away.

This is when it all started. After leaving from the bank, as I went to turn the car on it started but then quickly shut off. Tried again to turn it on, same. So having a out of charge phone I did not want to be stuck there. I again tried to turn it on but instead of letting it settle I feathered the gas a little and it stood on. Unfortunately it began to shake and smoke (white) again from the same spot. So I drove it slowly home, the shaking and smoking stopped and there its been ever since.

What can this be?? All the help is GREATLY appreciated and if I could ill donate you guys some of my college book money to show how thankful I am.

THanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is the car? Any mods? Any changes recently, or have you noticed any problems at all before this?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup no need for donations, just let us know as much info about the history and mods of the car in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If it's a bugeye (2002-2003), it could be the fueling issues associated with leaky fuel rails. Give us as many details as possible.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

lol....I always forget, I have a 04' WRX stock 145k miles. Here are a few more detail I left out.

I noticed the car only shuts off when the engine is still warm. Also if I might of forgot, but for now I have not noticed the car shaking when cold, so this only occurs when the car is warm as well. And as far the smoking in the engine bay around the pipe behind the turbo (don't know if that is the DP or UP, sorry I'm new). BTW as far as I know no excessive oil consumption.

As far as car history, the only issue that I have went through is a misfire in the cylinder 4. Which we recently fixed (190 miles ago) still waiting to see if CEL comes back on.

Thanks everyone again for the help.
    Last edited by OutFittedWRX; 02-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Do a compression/leakdown test. Something could be seriously messed up with your heads or valves (or even on the piston side). If you can't get your hands on actual equipment for either of those, at least do leakdown without numbers on the cylinder with the misfire, and listen for the leak. Also check your spark plugs while you're down there, make sure you're getting spark, make sure the plugs are clean, etc.

One last tip - check all the oil lines and the exhaust for leaks. You said white smoke - sweet smelling or bluish nasty-smelling smoke?

If you need help doing those things yourself, check out ericthecarguy on youtube - he just recently did a great vid on leakdown tests, which should show you everything.

Good luck.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.