Burning smell

This is a discussion on Burning smell within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Starting noticing a chemical burning smell when I would stop about two days ago. Ive been looking under the hood ...

Burning smell

Starting noticing a chemical burning smell when I would stop about two days ago. Ive been looking under the hood for the last two days trying to figure it out. My thoughts were some leak but no mess in the engine bay or on the floor of my garage.
    Finally went through a full fluid check and load and behold my transmission fluid barely left a gold drip on the dip stick. So I've essentially been cooking my transmission......
    My question for the group where did the fluid go if I don't see a big leaky mess?

Going to buy some tran fluid tomorrow.... Maybe it will leak out some where....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you looked at the tranny to see if there's any fluid residue on it? It may be a very slow leak that's been happening for a while and only leaks when you're driving. Who knows.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yeah i was looking under it last night with a flash light b/c I was thinking the same. Couldn't see anything from that but I'm going to run out and get some fluid at lunch, put it up on a ramp and see what happens underneath. Fluid is going somewhere and it's getting on something hot... either the tranny it's self or the exhaust.

I hope it hasn't screwed the tranny to much... though i hadn't felt or heard any problems in shifting or driving. fingers crossed.

Is the gear oil synthetic?? I checked in the manual and it just says 75w90 I'm suspecting synth is correct?

the gear oil is not synthetic. however you can use synthetic if you choose...Personally at the dealership I'm at I put 75 90 valvoline in all the Subies that come through the door....

Thanks for clarifying I picked up synthetic. I want to put in what the dealership will use cause I want to fill it up see if it doesn't leak much and take it to the dealer to have them fix it. I'll grab some non synth tomorrow.