09 Brakes/Pads
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 Brakes/Pads within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What brand brake pads should I go with for a daily driver? I just want something a little better then ...

Question 09 Brakes/Pads

What brand brake pads should I go with for a daily driver? I just want something a little better then OEM and that's not so pricey as I am on a budget right now. something that I can get at like Auto-Zone or something, don't wanna have to order and wait to put them on. Also, if I change the brake pads will the brake fluid be back up or do I need to change the brake fluids as well? Just wondering because I heard some weird stuff.. Lol, just confused is all.

Also, has anyone had a problem with the E-brake light turning on while driving in cold weather, or flooring the car? (not launching)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hawk is a very popular aftermarket brand of brake pads, and they are not going to break (brake) your bank. they have numerous grades from street driving up to track racing. obviously make your choice based on the type of driving that you do. if you dont want to wait i would just go to autozone, but if your putting them in yourself you might as well get something better than just oem replicas. you do not need to disconnect the brake lines to change the pads. if you disconnect the lines, you HAVE TO BLEED THE BRAKES to get all the air out of the system.

i live in san diego, no issues with cold here, cant comment on e-brake light issues.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

+1 on the hawk pads.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Hawk HPS
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I know you mentioned not wanting to order them, but will a few more days for a better pad make that much of a difference?

StopTech makes a pretty good street pad that isn't too expensive:
    http://www.knsbrakes.com/carSeriesDe...%20Brake%20Pad
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I know you mentioned not wanting to order them, but will a few more days for a better pad make that much of a difference?

StopTech makes a pretty good street pad that isn't too expensive:
    KNS Brakes

I read somewhere that stoptech's get really dusty is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    hawk is a very popular aftermarket brand of brake pads, and they are not going to break (brake) your bank. they have numerous grades from street driving up to track racing. obviously make your choice based on the type of driving that you do. if you dont want to wait i would just go to autozone, but if your putting them in yourself you might as well get something better than just oem replicas. you do not need to disconnect the brake lines to change the pads. if you disconnect the lines, you HAVE TO BLEED THE BRAKES to get all the air out of the system.

i live in san diego, no issues with cold here, cant comment on e-brake light issues.
    So I just gotta make sure not to mess with the brake lines correct? Does having bad brake pads cause the brake fluid to run low?

Quote Originally Posted by krntehknik303 View Post
    So I just gotta make sure not to mess with the brake lines correct? Does having bad brake pads cause the brake fluid to run low?
    dont mess with the lines. you will know, because it takes a bit more than just pulling them out to disconnect them. the brake pads should have nothing to do with fluid. if you e-brake light is coming on, you may be low on brake fluid or need to replace it.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Okay, thanks for the tips man! Yeah, I think I will change the brake fluid as well.. our cars are Dot 4 right?

im pretty sure. i replaced mine recently with motul 600 racing fluid cause i took my car on the track. if you are confused or questioning what brand/temp/viscosity call the dealer service dept and ask.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    im pretty sure. i replaced mine recently with motul 600 racing fluid cause i took my car on the track. if you are confused or questioning what brand/temp/viscosity call the dealer service dept and ask.
    Yeah, I will. Thanks man!!

i like the ebc pads cuz you dont have to bed them in but to each there own. i use them on my 95 cop car. not the wrx its got willwoods

I live in pa (so it has been very cold) and I have noticed once or twice when flooring it that the e-brake light flashes on for a sec, then off...idk why, just having the same "issue"
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ethanesmay View Post
    i like the ebc pads cuz you dont have to bed them in but to each there own. i use them on my 95 cop car. not the wrx its got willwoods
    you're supposed to bed all new pads
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    you're supposed to bed all new pads
    What does "bed" all new pads mean?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.