2003 WRX Timing Belt Replacement?

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX Timing Belt Replacement? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got 84k mi on my 2003 WRX Subaru. The dealership wants me to replace it to the tune of ...

2003 WRX Timing Belt Replacement?

I've got 84k mi on my 2003 WRX Subaru. The dealership wants me to replace it to the tune of $615. Is this something that should be considered urgent? (Everything at the dealership is urgent , so I wanted a real world opinion.)

Thanks,
    Sally

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What the dealership wants is irrelevant. Only what the manufacturer states in writing, in the owner's manual, matters.

Check the owner's manual for the maintenance schedule. It dictates a timing belt replacement at 105,000 miles or (I think?) nine years -- someone correct me on the number of years -- whichever comes first. Check the manual, and if you are neither at the miles nor the age, you don't need a timing belt.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

105k or 7 years is what the dealership is saying. They currently have the vehicle and are replacing the fuel harness/fuel lines under a TSB. (Did I mention that this site has wonderful information?)

I Support ClubWRX
    OK ask them how many months are in a year. My 2002 Warranty and Maintenance Booklet specifies 105,000 miles, 168,000 km, or 105 months as the service interval for the timing belt for both federal-spec and CA-spec cars, on page 42 and page 44 respectively.

On my planet, 105 months is 8.75 years.

You don't need the timing belt service yet. Whether you chose to do it now is up to you. Be aware that the timing belt itself is rarely changed alone -- or rather it should probably not be changed alone. When I did mine, I changed the rollers and the water pump also since everything was apart. The parts alone were over $500 (dealer prices; independents can source other parts that are equivalent but less expensive). So the estimate is for the belt, but once they are in there it is likely they will (correctly or not) want to change other things also.

In any case, it's not due yet. It may be recommended by the dealer but the manufacturer does not require it at this point. If we assume your car is the earliest feasible 2003 model, sold in early fall of 2002, by time alone you've got until this summer or this fall to change the belt. If you hit the 105K miles point sooner, fine, you need a timing belt.

If you like them, trust them, and have not only the quoted amount but a good 50% extra ready to go for incidentals once they start taking the timing assembly apart, it's up to you to do it. In my opinion, it's your call, but you have the option to wait.

Sorry to be wordy but I wanted to give you a full picture. The site welcomes new members and I hope you stay around and check out the various fora. Enjoy.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-09-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I changed my T belt at about 98k. To me it still looked good. One of the tensioners was making lots of noise though. Do you hear any strange noises coming from the T belt area?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I haven't heard anything. The power steering went out while it was at the dealership, and they suggested repairs for problems I don't have -- unless they fixed that too. I suspect they are trying to drum up business.

The timing belt is due according to what I've been reading. I'm going to have my regular mechanic look at that one.