belt tensioner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on belt tensioner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I brought my 02 wrx in to have it looked at for the belt becasue it started making noise and ...

belt tensioner

I brought my 02 wrx in to have it looked at for the belt becasue it started making noise and they said it was the belt tensioner. I am confused as to what belt tensioner I need because would this be considered the timing belt tensioner like this one shown here? or would it be considered a serpentine belt tensioner?

Gates OEM Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster Subaru WRX 02+ - eBay (item 400191881838 end time Feb-09-11 16:44:39 PST)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be either. Ask the person who told you what it was. Or check out the belt tensioner, as it connects to the ac belt and is easy to check.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I will take a pic of it and post it in an hour. I can't find serpentine belt tensioner

I have seen both of them make noise, def. find out which one they are talking about...

I am almost positive its not the timing belt. I think its the a/c belt tensioner

A\C tensioner. You only have to buy the pulley though, the "tensioner" is fine, the pulley is bad, very common on these cars
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Go to the dealer, the are about the same price as aftermarket, usually dealers will stock one or two of them, while you are there make sure the little plastic piece that the adjuster bolt goes through isnt damaged either.

Hey guys im kind of having the same problem.... my belt (timing) keeps comming loose and i bring it to the dealer and they tighin it up and everything but it keeps happining and they dont know why???? They keep fixing it for free but is kinda a pain in the a$$ to keep bringing it back there. Is there something there missing or not telling me? has anyone had this problem? By the way it's an 04 wrx Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I don't understand how the timing belt could come loose, how to tighten it, or why. Are you sure it's the timing belt? Do you have an invoice from the dealer listing the repair done, and what parts were involved?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes it's was under warantiy so there was no invoice's for them tighting the timming belt but i had the timing belt replaced then it started a few months later and they just kept tighting it for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Again, I see no way literally and physically of tightening the timing belt. The tensioner is hydraulic. Once the grenade pin is pulled it simply expands and tightens the belt. Tension is then maintained for the life of the belt.

Are you sure it's not an accessory belt we're talking about? If it's an accessory belt, replace it with an authentic unit, and replace the roller(s) too if need be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright thanks! I will defantly take another look at that!!!! maybe i just miss read what they did. Thanks again

Yes i just check it out and it was my drive belt due to the alternater pully going bad. so here is my question we had the pully and the belt replace in march on 2010 and its now having the same problem if they had replaced everything the first time then why is this happening again just a year later?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.