Tranny problem? help

This is a discussion on Tranny problem? help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About three weeks ago i got an 05 wrx with 76000 miles on her, i have noticed a few times ...

Tranny problem? help

About three weeks ago i got an 05 wrx with 76000 miles on her, i have noticed a
    few times driving around town that the car will do a really quick stutter or pause,
    like a glitch if you will, it was weird to me and thought that it could be something
    with the awd since it is my first awd car and dont know. Now i took her for a longer distance drive on interstate and it was more more noticeable, it would be driving fine at 75mph then she would just do that quick stutter, it happened a few times on a 4 hour drive. I dont know if its something with the transmission or maybe the diff or if its normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostUnknown View Post
    About three weeks ago i got an 05 wrx with 76000 miles on her, i have noticed a
    few times driving around town that the car will do a really quick stutter or pause,
    like a glitch if you will, it was weird to me and thought that it could be something
    with the awd since it is my first awd car and dont know. Now i took her for a longer distance drive on interstate and it was more more noticeable, it would be driving fine at 75mph then she would just do that quick stutter, it happened a few times on a 4 hour drive. I dont know if its something with the transmission or maybe the diff or if its normal.
    actually this happened to me....3 er 4 times in the last month or so.....almost feels like if you were on snow and the wheels spun, then quickly caught?

yeah that is exactly what it feels like, i just want to know if its something wrong with the tranny/clutch or if thats normal which would be very awkward if it is normal, i dont know what it is

a guy at work has a 08 legacy and says he experiences the same thing....made me feel better...but still curious...

yeah, that just seems strange, well she needs an oil change so i will ask about it while im their today

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Is it a stutter when you hit the accelerator? If so, that's driveline lash and can be mitigated with rear diff outrigger bushings, rear diff lockdown bolts, and a stiffer transmission mount.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

the ones on the interstate happened with the cruise on going up short hills, and around town i cant quit remember if i was already holding the speed limit or if i was accelerating, i know it doesnt happen at the moment i hit the accelerator though

it happens to me when just crusing...around 45mph er so...

well i asked the mech at the dealership what was happening and he also thought it was weird and didnt know what it was. I told him about the bushings, bolts, and mount, they looked it all over and didnt find anything wrong but if it gets worse or i notice it more they will try the bushings and all that fun stuff.

mine does something similar... when i am driving with the ac on especially. i also hear a sound like my blow off valve is going off it only happens when i driving at a constant speed with the ac on its like the fuel cuts out of a half second...

05 wrx

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Carro036 View Post
    driving at a constant speed with the ac on its like the fuel cuts out of a half second
    That's your AC compressor clutch engaging
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

so no problem right?..

It's funny, I have this same problem on my 911. It never happens under WOT, only when I'm just cruising down the highway. It's like the power cuts out or something. That's not quite right, and it's hard to describe, and it doesn't happen that often. It's literally a blip and everything is fine. Most people would never even notice it, but I'm a car guy and I've had it happen a ton of times.

I keep meaning to clean my MAF to see if maybe that's causing it. They're really sensitive on a lot of cars.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

my ac stopped working now