Fill 'er up? NOT!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fill 'er up? NOT!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks- I am a long time member, and this is the first time I couldn't find the answer without ...

Fill 'er up? NOT!!!

Hi folks-
    I am a long time member, and this is the first time I couldn't find the answer without needing to post. That means you guys are very good! I have a stock 02 WRX wagon, that moved with me from CA to upstate NY. (Driving in the snow is FUN!) Anyway, out of the blue, it stopped taking fuel without tripping the gas pump every half gallon or so. I could live with that, but then it threw an evap CEL right before I am due for an inspection. I looked under at the evap canister to find it well packed in snow and ice, so I am wondering if there is a connection here? My daily commute is short enough that the car just warms up, but the temps and poorly plowed roads probably mean that the components back there have not thawed out for a month or more, about the same as the fill up problem. I was hoping for some opinions before I start digging around under there--
    TIA
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You will need to pull the code, but an evap canister packed in with snow and ice could very well generate a CEL.

April 2009 and this is your first post?

Welcome!

skogscon

Join DateApr 2009
    Posts1
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You will need to pull the code, but an evap canister packed in with snow and ice could very well generate a CEL.

April 2009 and this is your first post?

Welcome!

skogscon

Join DateApr 2009
    Posts1
    +1 to all of that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I remember a thread with a similar problem. I can't find it but agree with the advice given.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That happened to me on my '04 WRX, and it turned out to be a big spider and his web and stuff all packed down in there. Quite the surprise for the technician who opened it up to figure it out!
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Hiya, Sasquatch. I love the avatar-
    OK, long version. Up til now, I have found everything I need from reading the stickies or (gasp) using the search button. The car has been relatively trouble free. Since I don't know enough to render an opinion on anything WRX related, I felt it best to just keep quietly out of the way, listen and learn. Rev me up on something I do know about though, better stand back and give me and my opinions some room.
    So, on to the car- I had to adjust the power steering/alternator belt, so I disconnected the neg terminal before sticking my fat paws under the hood. This, of course, reset the CEL. An hour later, while at the auto parts store for other reasons, I figured I'd ask the kid to pull any codes, and advise me on whether I would pass inspection. He said that there were no error codes, but that the evap sensor was not ready. (not ready?) Anyway, I remembered reading about loose gas caps, evap canisters, bad wiring, etc, and made the mental leap to the fill up problem.
    Thanks for the quick responses, guys.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    That happened to me on my '04 WRX, and it turned out to be a big spider and his web and stuff all packed down in there. Quite the surprise for the technician who opened it up to figure it out!
    Lightning-
    Down in where, exactly? The fill hose, vent hose, evap can, or? I have to lay in the snow to work on this, and I would sure love to have a plan in mind!
    Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so about the not ready code, that makes sense -- the sensor will take a few cycles to reset to ready state. Depending on your area, "not ready" could mean a fail.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK so about the not ready code, that makes sense -- the sensor will take a few cycles to reset to ready state. Depending on your area, "not ready" could mean a fail.
    I asked the Autozone kid about that, he said it should pass OK. Inspections are only 21 bucks, but the scheduling can be tough. I would like to be as ready as possible.
    "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"
    If the CEL comes back on, I will be sure to post the code. If I evict a spider, I'll let you folks know!

BTW- great forum- I sure didn't expect this many responses in so short a time. Thank you to all--

Quote Originally Posted by skogscon View Post
    Lightning-
    Down in where, exactly? The fill hose, vent hose, evap can, or? I have to lay in the snow to work on this, and I would sure love to have a plan in mind!
    Thanks!
    I was told he was clogging the vent hose and had some webbing in the evap, also, but mostly the vent hose. They showed me the spider. I normally don't mind 'em, but I don't think he was from these parts. He definitely crossed the line between 'squishable bug' and 'unsquishable animal.'
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Hey folks-
    Following up on the thread, I removed the packed-in ice and snow from around the evap can, and blasted the area with the car wash wand. The CEL never came back on, and the gas tank filled up smoothly without tripping. Yesterday, it also passed the state inspection. Looks like everything was linked to a frozen Evap can behind the right rear wheel- thanks for all your help!
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.