RPM drop

This is a discussion on RPM drop within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my 2006 WRX the idle will drop when I turn off the headlights or other electrical things, turn the ...

RPM drop

On my 2006 WRX the idle will drop when I turn off the headlights or other electrical things, turn the steering wheel, which I expect that, but it almost dies. Earlier tonight It just about stalled and caught itself. It idles up just fine when I turn on my headlights to acount for the draw. I also found after tapping the throttle when it comes back down to idle it doesn't always but sometimes sounds like it about to stall. Other than that it seems to idle smooth and run good. Something to be worried about??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try cleaning the throttlebody.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Do you have any mods to the car?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Do you have any mods to the car?
    Yeah, I have upgraded Intercooler, Cool air intake, a catless Down pipe and straight pipe exhaust. I just got the car, and I will be changing the Exh as soon as I have the $$$$ to do so. It seems to run good other than this little issue.

I Support ClubWRX
    do you have any tuning?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    do you have any tuning?
    I am assuming yes, i just bought the car on Monday. I have been told that With a down tube and an intake if any tunning had not been done the car would run like crap. It seems to run well, I had an appt to take the car in and have it looked at. Make sure the right tunning had been done for a good piece of mind but I ended up getting out of the dealership after I was schedueled to have the car looked at. They wern't able to get me in any later.

I Support ClubWRX
    sounds to be either a bad tune... a blow off valve that's leaky... or a lightweight flywheel that wasn't adjusted for by raising the idle on the tune.

Does it have an aftermarket BOV?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

It has the stock blow off. Its weird, it idles just fine but if you have lets say the heater blasting then turn it off the RPM's will drop and it almost sounds like its gonna stall out. This is at idle parked. I expect the idle to drop when you turn the heater off since you no longer have the load of the fan blower on the alternator. I just feel it drops too much, it always catches itself and never has stalled. It'll sometimes do it if i just barely tap the throttle and let off. I could just be paranoid, this is my first Subaru so I am still learning about what is normal.

I Support ClubWRX
    almost sounds like a lightweight flywheel was installed... When I had mine installed that happened.... then I adjusted the idle settings on the accessport and now it doesn't do it.

Does it have the stock clutch/flywheel?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Without knowing what (if any) tune is on there, it's going to be near impossible to figure out the root cause of your issues...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading