Did my own oil change for the first time

This is a discussion on Did my own oil change for the first time within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After paying for my last oil change, I decided that it would just be easier to do it myself. ...

Did my own oil change for the first time

After paying $91 for my last oil change, I decided that it would just be easier to do it myself. I used an oem filter, and bought some Mobile 1 EP from walmart. Total cost was like $33.

It went smoothly, for the most part. Put the car up on some ramps, and drained all the oil. Didn't see an old crush ring. I put a new crush ring on, and then put on the new filter. I might have tightened it a bit much. Then I put in some oil, and started the car. No leaks. So I finished putting the oil in. I think I put a little too much though. I put about 4.5 quarts in. Hopefully that won't matter.

The only real complaint I have was that mother nature didn't make it nice. Doing this in 28 degree weather was not fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Definitely a money saver, and relatively quick as you found. Surprised there wasn't a drain plug gasket; sometimes they're black from the factory, which disguises them, but if you've had oil changes done since then, maybe they forgot to put it on at your last change.

Regarding overfilling; Subarus are more tolerant of a slight overfill vs under filling to a point, that point being when the lobes on the crank start turning the oil into a latte. Check your oil after the car has been sitting overnight. Use the distance between L and F to gauge how much extra oil you have (distance between L and F = ~1L = ~1 qt). If it's above the "hot" notch above F, then you're approaching too much.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    $91 for an oil change? Ouch!
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    $91 for an oil change? Ouch!
    Yeah,did that include a reach around? That's insane......
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks. I'll see if i can check it tomorrow morning before I leave.

After paying $91, I felt violated.

Here's the service specials from my dealer along w/ the 21.95 oil change.
    I'm sure your local dealer has the same thing online.
    Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    Here's the service specials from my dealer along w/ the 21.95 oil change.
    I'm sure your local dealer has the same thing online.
    Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials.

Ohh yea, that looks like some high quality oil they're using there.

I'd rather do it myself and fill'er up with T6.

I just found out that I put the crush ring in the wrong place. I put it on with the filter (it fit, so I assumed).

I doubt this would be cause enough to redo everything, but just wanted some verification.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's been done before. Putting the ring on the filter is not cause to redo everything but it is cause to remove the filter, remove the crush ring, and put the filter on correctly IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Guess I'll be doing a second oil change on wednesday then. Eh. Guess it'll be good practice.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not bother changing the oil if the drain plug is not leaking. If the drain plug is leaking, then get a drain pan, let the car go stone cold, and QUICKLY use your thumb to keep the oil in while you remove the drain plug, add a crush washer in the correct orientation, and replace it. Press up gently when replacing the plug to minimize leaking.

The filter will come off with minimal juice if you keep the dip stick on and the fill cap tight as they are, and let the car go completely cold.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks.

I don't think I'm leaking any, so I'll probably be able to leave the plug alone. It might even have an old one still on it.