Say it ain't So, Blinking CES and a fire? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Say it ain't So, Blinking CES and a fire? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by oguitar Good thing you had a fire extinguisher nearby. You probably saved your car. I wouldn't speak ...

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Good thing you had a fire extinguisher nearby. You probably saved your car.
    I wouldn't speak too soon. What kind of extinguisher did you use? (Not to insult your knowledge of cars or anything) I've heard some horror stories about dry chemical extinguisher use in engine bays. It destroys aluminum, and eats through electric insulation and plastic. Or so I've been told/read. Take this with a grain of salt, but it's worth looking into.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mav3rik64 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the details, I bought NGK's but did not gap them assuming they "should" be the right gap, but they did seem to have a slightly larger gap than my previous set. That was my first conclusion of what was wrong when I started reading up on it, and I accidentally broke of the tab on my connector because it was almost impossible to disconnect, but I strapped it on there with some safety wire and it seems secure but i'll check that too. Thanks for the information.
    The gap on mine was a lot wider also. Always check your plug gaps. I called the dealership for the gap and they could not tell me. The guy said that they just pit them in that they are pregapped to the right spec. He then went and measured one then gave me that spec. Of course that was what all of mine were set to. I hanged them to the spec that I found on here. I did not break my tab off of my connector. I was plunging the wires back on the coils and noticed one didn't click. The little nub on the coil was missing that locks the connectors tab. It was not very noticeable at first. I have no idea how long it was that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItRoar View Post
    I wouldn't speak too soon. What kind of extinguisher did you use? (Not to insult your knowledge of cars or anything) I've heard some horror stories about dry chemical extinguisher use in engine bays. It destroys aluminum, and eats through electric insulation and plastic. Or so I've been told/read. Take this with a grain of salt, but it's worth looking into.
    I did use a dry chemical, was a yellowish powder. I will look into it, but all the powder that was on the car parts just easily blew off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Dry chem extinguishers are extremely corrosive. Halon/Halotron would be what you want to use.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by spt02wrx View Post
    The gap on mine was a lot wider also. Always check your plug gaps. I called the dealership for the gap and they could not tell me. The guy said that they just pit them in that they are pregapped to the right spec. He then went and measured one then gave me that spec. Of course that was what all of mine were set to. I hanged them to the spec that I found on here. I did not break my tab off of my connector. I was plunging the wires back on the coils and noticed one didn't click. The little nub on the coil was missing that locks the connectors tab. It was not very noticeable at first. I have no idea how long it was that way.
    Ok, I guess thats the first thing i'll do is check the gap on my plugs. Thanks again
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Dry chem extinguishers are extremely corrosive. Halon/Halotron would be what you want to use.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I just ran into my kitchen and grabbed the only extinguisher I had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12