Clinking sound after warming up?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clinking sound after warming up? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey there, I just recently purchased an 09 silver wrx hatchback a few months ago. Had about 30k on it ...

Clinking sound after warming up?

Hey there, I just recently purchased an 09 silver wrx hatchback a few months ago. Had about 30k on it when I bought it and it's at 34k now coming up on my first oil change.

Quick question before getting into my issue though, does the engine oil light show up every 5k on subarus too?

Anyways, I recently noticed when I drive the car for about 5-10 miles to work, I'll notice little clinking noise like something is loose when it's on idle. What worries me is that it's very noticeable and seems to be coming from the turbo side. The noise will however go away when the car is hot enough after I drive it for about 20-30minutes.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried? It's different from the knocking sound I heard online that everyone is talking about when these wrx's were not broken in correctly.

I will attempt to capture the sound on my phone next time I get it. It does seem to happen more often when it's below freezing. I live in NC so temp dips below 32 here and there.

So far I only have a set of turboxs cat back installed. I have a turbo gauge but I'm pretty sure it's installed from factory.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The engine oil light only comes on once the damage is basically done. Or so I've heard. Subie's turbos (and all turbo cars) can burn a couple quarts of oil every 3k, so 5k may be in the danger zone if you don't top off your oil and check it religiously. The only thing that comes to mind for the sound is knock. Bad tank of gas? Friend or family member put in a lower octane?
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItRoar View Post
    The engine oil light only comes on once the damage is basically done. Or so I've heard. Subie's turbos (and all turbo cars) can burn a couple quarts of oil every 3k, so 5k may be in the danger zone if you don't top off your oil and check it religiously. The only thing that comes to mind for the sound is knock. Bad tank of gas? Friend or family member put in a lower octane?

ooo ****, I apologize for my language, but does putting the wrong gas just one time (octane89) really cause a knock? Cause my father accidentally put premium(here is sometimes 89) and I heard a click noise after releasing the petal when revving.

once I started to run low on gas I put one bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and noticing the clicking noise starting to reduce. *** Can putting Fuel injector cleaner reduce or even remove that scary noise?? ***

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItRoar View Post
    I may go get my oil changed tomorrow then if that's the case. I hadn't thought about that the turbo burning my oil. It's only been me driving and I've been the only one pumping the gas. 93 has been the only fuel used :/ I heard it again tonight and recorded the sound.

YouTube - Weird sound

May have to run through the video a time or two but it's that sound on the background that comes and goes. Once the car drives for about 10 minutes on high way though the sound just kinda goes away. I thought it sounds different than a knock though, I'm sure I might just be low on oil.

Tough to tell exactly from that video but to me it kinda sounds like it's the downpipe or heatshield rattling. That doesn't sound at all like bad gas.

When the car is cool can you wiggle the turbo heatshield or downpipe by hand and make it tap anything? It's possible that during the cat-back install things got tweaked slightly and now something is rubbing.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Tough to tell exactly from that video but to me it kinda sounds like it's the downpipe or heatshield rattling. That doesn't sound at all like bad gas.

When the car is cool can you wiggle the turbo heatshield or downpipe by hand and make it tap anything? It's possible that during the cat-back install things got tweaked slightly and now something is rubbing.
    Funny you mentioned it. I had the turboxs 3" catback put on about a month ago and it sounded similar to that when I first put it on. I went back and they found a tight spot just under the drive shaft in the mid section of the car right behind the cat. They said they tried to push the firewall up as far as they can and it still had a slight problem. What they ended up doing is heat up the pipe just ahead of the connection on the cat side and bent it downward just a tad and the noise was gone.

The sound feels like it's coming from the engine bay though, so I don't think it's the problem from the exhaust. I'll check the turbo heat shield and see if it touches anything. I'm just hoping nothing is loose or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OutFittedWRX View Post
    ooo ****, I apologize for my language, but does putting the wrong gas just one time (octane89) really cause a knock? Cause my father accidentally put premium(here is sometimes 89) and I heard a click noise after releasing the petal when revving.

once I started to run low on gas I put one bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and noticing the clicking noise starting to reduce. *** Can putting Fuel injector cleaner reduce or even remove that scary noise?? ***

Thanks for the help.
    Yes. 93 or tuned (or careful in case of emergency) 91 octane only. How is 89 premium sometimes? I've never heard of that, 89 is usually mid-grade, and 87 is the ****ty stuff. 91 and 93 alternate being the premium in some places, while 89 is the lowest you can go in others. 93 octane STAT. And I'm not sure about the last question, but I would assume it COULD temporarily. Not that it will or does, that it's possible in my mind. That's a question/conundrum for a much more hardened veteran subie owner. Paging Moderators, moderators to the post for support please.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

89 is never "premium." Sometimes it's the best a gas station offers, but it's never premium. 91 or 93 are the only premiums in the US. I used to find 94 near NYC that was labeled "super premium."
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.