Can I disconnect My Back Brakes?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have no idea if that's a stupid question or not, I'm a computer guy, not a car guy. When ...

Banned

Can I disconnect My Back Brakes?

I have no idea if that's a stupid question or not, I'm a computer guy, not a car guy. When I was at Subaru recently they showed me my back brakes: almost gone. So now a few days later I notice that when I brake, sometimes from the right rear I hear what sounds like empty water jugs bouncing around. I can only assume it's my brakes.

I asked how my front brakes were and the guy said they're fine. I said I didn't notice any issue stopping and he said because the front brakes are doing all the work. I can't afford to do the brakes right now. Like I literally have $10 to my name. Can they be disconnected until I could fix them? What would happen if the rear brakes fail entirely?

I've heard a rumor that I have no idea if it's true or not that when brakes fail they clamp shut on the rotor locking the rotor and it can happen while driving. It sounds too stupid to be true, but like i said: I know computers, not cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You cannot safely "disconnect" you rear brakes. There are a few ways brakes can fail... they can leak fluid resulting in no braking power, the calipers can seize up (what you are referring to as clamping onto the rotor), and they can just wear until the pad surface is gone and you get metal on metal (which is most common). Saying the brakes are "almost gone" is relative, you could have months left with very little meat on the pads. What will most likely happen is option "3", the pads will wear out and you will have to replace the pads and rotors. I would suggest that you drive the car as little as possible until you can have it fixed, the longer you go, the more expensive it will cost to fix the problem.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Cut the rear metal lines. Fold them over and clamp one vice grip on each line.

Heck, brakes are only for emergencies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post

i hope it works.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    i hope it works.
    Oh, it works.....trust me!

The front brakes may do most of the braking, but if your rears didn't have any ability to brake you'd be spinning out a lot on already icy roads. It would get old after a while.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    The front brakes may do most of the braking, but if your rears didn't have any ability to brake you'd be spinning out a lot on already icy roads. It would get old after a while.
    Nope, he'd spin out less. When our circle track cars are loose, our driver dials out rear brake with the in car bias adjuster to combat the problem.

Banned

Should I have prefaced my question with no stupid answers please? I mean I asked a genuine question and you gave that as a reply.

Nope, he'd spin out less. When our circle track cars are loose, our driver dials out rear brake with the in car bias adjuster to combat the problem.
    Hmm...I figured that the rear end would want to keep on going while the front slowed down?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Banned
    I haven't had any spinning out issues, and I do realize that stopping is probably the most important part of the car, I just had no idea it was this bad till the other day. This being my only car, and having limited funds, I have limited options. I use the car for work, so not driving it isn't an option. However, if it can last till next Monday I can do the rear brakes then.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Should I have prefaced my question with no stupid answers please? I mean I asked a genuine question and you gave that as a reply.
    Actually, my answer to your stupid question was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    Hmm...I figured that the rear end would want to keep on going while the front slowed down?
    Nope.

Stupid questions yield stupid/sarcastic answers.

I didn't even think this thread was serious until I saw how offended you got from Trainrex's post.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Stupid questions yield stupid/sarcastic answers.

I didn't even think this thread was serious until I saw how offended you got from Trainrex's post.
    That was so weird. I've never offended anyone here before.

Your brakes will probably not have a problem lasting another week.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.