Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teikyo30 So yes to the C-clamp then? I watched a few videos and they just used the ...

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    So yes to the C-clamp then? I watched a few videos and they just used the old pads with the C-clamp to push the thingy back into the majigy, lol, and then they put the new pads in. Do I need to take the cap off the brake fluid under the hood when I do all this? As for the rotors, last time when I did the fronts they were worn a little and the mechanic said they could machine them or replace them, or if I didn't have the extra cash I could do it next time. I opted to do it next time. Subaru said my front brakes were fine, so I'm assuming the rotors really don't need to be done that often?
    You are correct. Undo the cap under the hood and use the c-clamp or large pliers with the old brake pad to push the pistons back in. Rotors don't need replacing very often. It all depends on their thickness and condition. If your rotors aren't all grooved up, slap the pads on and call it a day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lots of places say you need new rotors or at least to have them turned when you change your brakes. I've never bothered to even have a set turned. As long as the surface isn't horribly grooved, then just slap on the new pads and go like he said.

Normally you get two sets of pads to one set of rotors. Of course a lot depends on the particular rotors, pads, your driving style, and more. But in general on any OEM car with OEM brakes, you'll get 30k miles out of a set of pads and 60k out of a set of rotors.

I use a set of giant channel-lock pliers to push the pistons back in. Works like a charm.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I have given up on turning rotors also. If they look decent I change the pads. If they do not look decent I change the rotors and pads. With the price of blanks relatively low these days I'm OK doing this. So far so good.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have given up on turning rotors also. If they look decent I change the pads. If they do not look decent I change the rotors and pads. With the price of blanks relatively low these days I'm OK doing this. So far so good.
    +1
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    My problem now is if I take the car to a shop a lot of them will try to say you can't leave with the car if the brakes are too messed up. I'm def metal on metal. That's the sound I'm hearing from the right rear. I know pads would be fine till the weather gets warmer and I can do it myself, but if they try to tell me I need to whole nine yards I'm screwed. I can't afford all that. One shop did that years ago, and neither I nor my parents knew any better and wound up spending $700 on a Ford Tempo's brakes.

Dude don't run your car on bad brakes. If you can't afford to repair your car then don't drive it. Please you could kill someone or yourself. Be smart.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Some people do not have the option of not driving.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    Some people do not have the option of not driving.
    Right? His statement implies I can just use my other car, but my other car is a city bus which I wouldn't be able to use for deliveries. lol.

Besides, my front brakes are fine. I'm going to go to a place around here called Brake Center of America because they have payment plans without credit checks.

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    My problem now is if I take the car to a shop a lot of them will try to say you can't leave with the car if the brakes are too messed up. I'm def metal on metal. That's the sound I'm hearing from the right rear. I know pads would be fine till the weather gets warmer and I can do it myself, but if they try to tell me I need to whole nine yards I'm screwed. I can't afford all that. One shop did that years ago, and neither I nor my parents knew any better and wound up spending $700 on a Ford Tempo's brakes.
    WHAT? dude.. no shop can Keep your car before work is done. Period.. Thats extortion and they should have been dealt with by the authorities.
    Now they can keep it after they've done the work.. to make sure they get paid, but you have to sign a document that says you're willing to pay before that happens. I hate to say it but you got screwed on the tempo deal man.. that shop hosed you guys good.

Do you have any buddies with a garage that you can roll the car into and do the work? .. all you need to do is get out of the cold and be able to jack the car up/move around it. If you're down metal to metal you're going to groove the rotors in short order .. so you'll have to replace them. Not much more work but extra $$.

Are there any subaru guys close to you that can help? .. gotta be someone local that can give a hand/lend a space or at least point and laugh
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    No... that's untrue. If the car is truly unsafe to drive... they can disallow you to drive it off of their property due to liability. If you get a tow, that's a different story.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    No... that's untrue. If the car is truly unsafe to drive... they can disallow you to drive it off of their property due to liability. If you get a tow, that's a different story.
    Meh.. Regardless the vehicle CAN leave the premises. Besides I'm 100% sure the shop used that as scare tactic and forced them to pay for a job that was well and beyond what was needed. $700 for brakes on a TEMPO!!!???? gotta be fkn kidding me.

This is why I wont ever ever ever bring my car to a independent shop for maintenance work. Crooks n scumbags are everywhere and every one of em trying to reach into your pocket. For every good honest shop there are 10 willing to put it in your butt. I've had two specific experiences at two different shops where they tried to hose me saying my brakes were close to shot. One while in for an alignment.. the other to have tires put on. The tech at the first place not knowing any better thought he had me until I told him that the brakes on the front of the car were not only new but from a european model that wasnt even available in the states.. (merkur/sierra rs) and that I had already changed the whole front suspension over to use those bigger brakes.
    .. that punk wanted to shaft me for a brake job that was no where near needed.

The second guy tried to hit me up saying my REAR brakes were shot.. again, just shortly after I changed over to disk brakes (merkur's have drum rear in factory trim) so everything was less than a month old. So I asked if he could get rear brake parts for it.. "cuz its a rare car" .. The look on his face was awesome when he found drum brake applications only. Then explained that I converted the brakes myself.. he picked the wrong guy to pull the wool over and I chewed into him good about trying it. I was so pissed I even lit into his manager about it.

I referred both places to the local bbb with a formal complaint. I cant imagine how many people they must have hosed over for unneeded services that just didn't know any better. They use scare tactics regarding safety equipment because they know they have the unknowing right by the short hairs. Its bull****.

Oh, and btw in most states they aren't liable unless they actually do work to the car. This varies by state law but I'm very sure that if the customer leaves disregarding the shops advice its under their own responsibility. I know FL and NY to be that way, same with here in Va. Ct I'm not sure about but its worth checking.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

Why a tow? Why not just put the car in neutral and push it off the property?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Meh.. Regardless the vehicle CAN leave the premises. Besides I'm 100% sure the shop used that as scare tactic and forced them to pay for a job that was well and beyond what was needed. $700 for brakes on a TEMPO!!!???? gotta be fkn kidding me.
    Funny thing about that brake job: I managed to screw up my brakes. I got the power steering fluid and brake fluid mixed up....the bottles looked exactly the same (except for the words). Anyway, apparently that does bad stuff to the brake system.

Banned
    So I went to Brake Center of America. A Place near me that has a solid A+ rating on the BBB and is voted #1 year after year by our local papers. I had a $50 coupon from online and I also talked to the owner via email about working out a deal if I couldn't afford it. The rear brakes were $116.49 installed, so I was a happy camper

Here's the thing: they said it wasn't to the metal yet, but very close, but the sound I heard was probably from the E-brakes. Sure enough after I left and braked I heard it again. Why would I hear that sound when applying the regular brakes? Wouldn't I only hear the E-brake if I were using it while driving? I don't drift, so I only use it to park.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678