Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mangostick Changing front cv's in that car was fun too.. yikes. Hopefully the new ones aren't that ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Changing front cv's in that car was fun too.. yikes. Hopefully the new ones aren't that much of a pita. lol
    About the same. Really not much different than any other car with the exception of the roll pins and the odd size/thread axle nut. With the roll pins get stuck that can be a pain. Plus you need to carefully torque the axle nuts or the wheel bearings will take a poop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why cant they just use a bolt on flange type like everyone else does? .. would be so much easier.

Oh well.

we're digressing pretty bad here lol..

so are those brakes done yet? (pokes with stick) ..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    No, they don't. Only calipers with an emergency brake built in will need to be threaded back in. Our cars have small emergency brake shoes inside of the rear rotors. Your old GL had the emergency brakes built into the front calipers. It's the only car I've ever seen that has that setup.
    Wait, so the e-brake is separate from the brakes? When I was at Subaru the other day I asked the mechanic about the e-brake and he said when you pull it it engages all 4 brakes. Now I'm confused.

So no C-Clamp needed to change the pads?

I Support ClubWRX
    Speaking of axle nuts and brakes and such, I have a theory... This assumes I am not alone in noticing the passenger side axle comes off with great difficulty, whereas the driver side is decent to deal with, and the same is sometimes true of brake discs etc.: my theory is that it's sprinklers over time as the car is parked near curbs on the passenger side that make life difficult.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Speaking of axle nuts and brakes and such, I have a theory... This assumes I am not alone in noticing the passenger side axle comes off with great difficulty, whereas the driver side is decent to deal with, and the same is sometimes true of brake discs etc.: my theory is that it's sprinklers over time as the car is parked near curbs on the passenger side that make life difficult.
    It's even better when one side is reverse thread.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Wait, so the e-brake is separate from the brakes? When I was at Subaru the other day I asked the mechanic about the e-brake and he said when you pull it it engages all 4 brakes. Now I'm confused.

So no C-Clamp needed to change the pads?
    Lets start from scratch and give you a good understanding of how this all works. Do you understand how hydraulic systems work?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    why cant they just use a bolt on flange type like everyone else does? .. would be so much easier.

Oh well.

we're digressing pretty bad here lol..

so are those brakes done yet? (pokes with stick) ..
    No, not yet. I have to wait till Monday when I get a pay check. I think I'm going to find a shop for this one. It's too cold here in CT to be sitting outside doing this stuff. Plus, I really don't have anywhere to go to do it. I'd have to go find a parking lot somewhere...but with the air temperature below 30 (i think today's low is 12), it's not my thing. I promise when it's warmer out, like springtime warmer, I'll try my own. I did manage to download the manual for the 2008 WRX Sti off TPB so I plan to skim through that to see how much is the same between the STi and my car.

Banned
    Lets start from scratch and give you a good understanding of how this all works. Do you understand how hydraulic systems work?
    Not a clue. I know of it, but not what it is. Remember: I bought this car to drive, not to repair, so trying to learn anything about it will take time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not a clue. I know of it, but not what it is. Remember: I bought this car to drive, not to repair, so trying to learn anything about it will take time.
    If you would like to be open minded, we'll be happy to teach you.

I bought my computer to look at b00bs, but still learned the basics to better understand the machine I was using.

I Support ClubWRX
    OP: Since you are doing brakes, unless something has changed, the way the brake pads (the friction material) are secured on the regular WRX and the WRX STi differs, in that the latter uses pins.

If your car does not use pins, search on this forum for a brake pad how-to thread, started by member Pace in antiquity. It has pictures and will give you a general idea. The number of pistons your brake setup uses does not matter much, in that you can simply use a spanner or the old pad to cover all of them and generate a single surface onto which you can apply gentle but firm force to compress the pistons into the caliper. Some manuals talk about slowly compressing each piston a little bit individually and varying which one gets pushed until they are all uniformly back in etc.

Just a point to consider, and I don't even know how valid it might be since I've not worked on 08+ cars at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I bought my computer to look at b00bs, but still learned the basics to better understand the machine I was using.

Superb analogy.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    If you would like to be open minded, we'll be happy to teach you.

Ha! I like to think I got into computers years ago because I like tech stuff. The boobs don't hurt. I am open-minded about stuff, it's just frustrating that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in high school I hung out with the gearheads, but I was more into the Apple 2E, TRS-80, C64, etc than cars. Which would have been fine if I wound up rich like a lot of the nerds, but I didn't.

I Support ClubWRX
    Apple 2E, TRS-80, C64,
    Then you remember LOGO and the turtle thingy on the IIe, tape drives, the early separate hard discs, and huge floppies. Brakes are generally easier.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ha! I like to think I got into computers years ago because I like tech stuff. The boobs don't hurt. I am open-minded about stuff, it's just frustrating that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in high school I hung out with the gearheads, but I was more into the Apple 2E, TRS-80, C64, etc than cars. Which would have been fine if I wound up rich like a lot of the nerds, but I didn't.
    Hey, everybody has their passions. Rich or not, your lucky to have a passion.

Hydraulic brakes and systems are very very simple. On one end you have a device that pushes fluid, and on the other end you have a device that reacts to it. A braking system is the same. When you push the pedal, it makes a piston inside a little tube push fluid through small hoses that are attached to the calipers inside your wheels. When the fluid pushes into these calipers, they also have little pistons that push on friction pads. These friction pads (brake pads) are on each side of a brake rotor (disc). They squeeze the brake disc and slow the car down. Take a drinking glass. Hold it on the bottom with your left hand. With your other hand grab the top lip of the glass with your thumb on the inside of the glass and your index finger on the outside. Spin the glass with your left hand. When you clamp your two fingers on the top of the glass, you won't be able to spin the glass anymore. That in theory is how disc brakes work. When the friction materials on your brake pads wear down you will need to replace them. This is what your facing. Basically all you have to do is remove the brake pads, push the little pistons back in the caliper to make room for the new pads that have more friction material than your used pads, and bolt it back together. If the rotor (disc) is worn down, you replace them at the same time. It's all very very basic and simple stuff, but can save you hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars when you do it yourself.

Also, a hydraulic system has to be free of air in the system. It is a sealed system. If air is introduced, the system cannot push fluid. That's where bleeding comes in to play. If no brake lines are disturbed, no fluid lost, and no air is introduced into the hydraulic system, you will not have to bleed the brakes.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 02-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Then you remember LOGO and the turtle thingy on the IIe, tape drives, the early separate hard discs, and huge floppies. Brakes are generally easier.
    I liked the big floppies. You could use a hole puncher and make them double sided

Banned
    Also, a hydraulic system has to be free of air in the system. It is a sealed system. If air is introduced, the system cannot push fluid. That's where bleeding comes in to play. If no brake lines are disturbed, no fluid lost, and no air is introduced into the hydraulic system, you will not have to bleed the brakes.
    So yes to the C-clamp then? I watched a few videos and they just used the old pads with the C-clamp to push the thingy back into the majigy, lol, and then they put the new pads in. Do I need to take the cap off the brake fluid under the hood when I do all this? As for the rotors, last time when I did the fronts they were worn a little and the mechanic said they could machine them or replace them, or if I didn't have the extra cash I could do it next time. I opted to do it next time. Subaru said my front brakes were fine, so I'm assuming the rotors really don't need to be done that often?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast