Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You don't need to bleed your lines to change the brake pads. You only need to bleed the lines at ...

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need to bleed your lines to change the brake pads.

You only need to bleed the lines at the intervals the manufacturer puts in place.

The banging with the hammer is on the rotors to get them to break loose. That's only if you're changing rotors as well or getting them turned. Not a necessity but I'd do it.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Brakes aren't hard at all...lol, they are if you've never done them before. Building computers and designing web pages are easy for me, but if I mess up on either, I don't risk anyone's life. I'm going to get them done in a week when I get the money, but I don't have a choice but to use the car since I use it not only to get to work, but for work.
    Listen man, as a guy that started with cars and electronics and moved to computers/networks I can tell you they aren't much different in principle. Your car is basically a bunch of simple mechanical systems that work together to make a complicated functioning unit.

Not unlike the way components in a computer work together.

Youtube is actually quite useful for stuff like this. Seriously.. brakes are not hard (no sarcasm.. really they aren't), especially DISK brakes. If you can build a pc you can do brakes If you can read and I'm sure you can and probably well.. pick up a manual, hit up google.. there are dozens of ways to learn how to do basic work on cars as well as find the proper tools you'll need for the job. If money is an issue, I highly recommend learning how to wrench on your car for the basic maintenance stuff. I can tell you for fact that I've saved THOUSANDS of dollars being able to work on my vehicles. We all have to start somewhere.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Listen man, as a guy that started with cars and electronics and moved to computers/networks I can tell you they aren't much different in principle. Your car is basically a bunch of simple mechanical systems that work together to make a complicated functioning unit.

I tend to think of things being like a more advanced version of Legos.

that works too.. but either way if you're smart enough to build/troubleshoot a computer you can handle a car. The tools are different but the methods are very similar.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

is that how the nonbrembos work to? i have done brakes before just not on my subaru but i am about to.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    My last word of advice to the op....Just do it yourself out of principle. Forget the time, forget the money, do it because as a vehicle owner there is nothing more rewarding than finishing a project on your own and knowing you didnt have to go to some mechanic
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

this thread is dripping with sarcasm. pretty great way to start my tuesday morning...'

to the OP: if you were a member on a computer tech forum, and someone asked for instructions on how to do something that would endanger himself and others around him, im sure you would fire back. bottom line, DONT DISCONNECT YOUR BRAKES! If the tech at the mechanic shop was so worried about your brakes, he would have told you "stop driving you car right now." the mere fact that he said that you can keep going for a while, means that they are not worn down to the point of being unsafe and disconnecting them.

If you do not want to DIY, you dont have to. but, there is a great feeling you get when you work on your own car and figure it all out. its a great way to get to know your car better also.

dont be discouraged, most of the responses took place on a monday, and everyone is usually an ******* on monday anyway...
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post

dont be discouraged, most of the responses took place on a monday, and everyone is usually an ******* on monday anyway...
    I have to disagree. I'm an ******* every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Hey, HEY!!!! There is absolutely NO joking around allowed in this thread. Keep it srs or gtfo.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    i have to kindly disagree. i only have proof that you are an ******* on mondays and tuesdays so far. but i will be happy to check on your status daily until i am comfortable saying "every day"
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i have to kindly disagree. i only have proof that you are an ******* on mondays and tuesdays so far. but i will be happy to check on your status daily until i am comfortable saying "every day"
    I have worked very hard for almost 8 years to earn the every day ******* title here. So hard they promoted me to "Head *******". Ask anybody.

"I knew it. I'm surrounded by *******s...KEEP FIRING *******S!"

Stink-eye Mob #814004

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    My last word of advice to the op....Just do it yourself out of principle. Forget the time, forget the money, do it because as a vehicle owner there is nothing more rewarding than finishing a project on your own and knowing you didnt have to go to some mechanic
    So which pads do I use? I've seen them ranging from $22 a pair to $150 a pair. And is this something that can easily be done in cold weather? Do I need an impact or just take the wheels off like i would if I were changing the tire?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast