Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can I disconnect My Back Brakes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teikyo30 Bend over and pull it out of your ass and you'll be fine. Originally Posted by ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Bend over and pull it out of your ass and you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    By the way, I have had threads taken down on here, and I have had posts deleted for not being a conformist
    Gee... I'm fairly surprised.

You're setting yourself up for failure my friend. Learn to joke around, and learn to be poked fun of, and poke fun back... or go to a lifeless car forum. There are 13,300,000 results when I type "Subaru Forum" into google, and 2,090,000 when I type "WRX Forum". Feel free to try any of the others on for size.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    It is the "correct " answer to your question... Perhaps the question should have been, can I still drive the car safely with the pads worn down enough for the mechanic to want to change them? The answer is yes, there is a piece of metal at the brake pads called a squealer, and if it isn't squealing yet when you apply the brakes, than there is still enough pad material left for normal driving... Don't worry about it for the short term and have a good day.
    Not all pads have a "skreetchy metal tab thingy-mabobber"
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Not all pads have a "skreetchy metal tab thingy-mabobber"
    The warning squealer is in/on the caliper if I remember correctly... No?
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    Nope. They are attached to the brake pads. They simply start to squeal once the linings wear enough for them to contact the rotor. Some cars have electronic sensors that attach and wear with the pads. They will light up an idiot light when the linings wear down to their service limit and the sensors contact the rotor.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ This.

And I just pulled out my old DS2500's, and they don't have the tabs on them. I looked at the OEM rears, and there is only one pad of the 4 that has one of the screetchy metal tab thingamabobbers.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Well this was entertaining enough for me to add my .02.

OP.. Brake pads are insanely easy. I had never done them, looked up a DIY, bought the pads and did it in a short time by myself. If money is tight this helps a ton, trust me im paying my way through college while feeding my WRX addiction. Trainrex was answering the question you asked. Dont get offended here. I promise if you posted this on NASIOC it would be WAYY worse. Look up a DIY, ask any questions you have here and you will be fine. Noone is trying to hurt your feelings. As for posts getting deleted....one thread is sufficient. If you posted the same thing in multiple places that is pointless and a waste of space.

Oh and Kevin - Did you seriously google that just for the sake of this thread?? Thats hilarious
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    No, you just think they are because you haven't done them.

Some may think replacing a stick of ram is hard if they've never done it before, to them it's like brain surgery because they don't know what to do. We all know in all reality that it takes about .2sec to change out rams.

Brakes are very easy. Just look up a DIY. If you are really concerned with "risking someone's life" then you shouldn't be driving a car with brakes that are shot. That's probably a better idea.
    I'm not worried about not being able to stop since I usually almost always engine brake to a very low speed before I use my brakes. As for the ram thing, are there really people on here who can do brakes, but not build a computer? I would be willing to do my own brakes but I'd need to watch someone do it, and none of my friends do their own. So, I don't want to practice on mine and wind up having to call a tow truck if I can't figure something out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    They have it backwards, rears only do a small part of the braking (maybe 30%-40% tops). If they aren't grinding you should be fine for a week or so, but there's no guarantee on that. A DIY could be something good for you, learn to do it once and you'll be saving money for the rest of your life.
    That's what they said about changing my own oil back when I had my G3 Eclipse. So I bought everything I needed, had my father show me how to do it, and quickly came to the conclusion the $10 I was saving doing it myself wasn't worth it due to having to dispose of the stuff, the time involved, and the mess. It is nice to know how to do it, though. Brakes I really would want to do with someone who really knows their stuff so they can tell me what to do, and make sure I'm doing it right. I know where to buy the parts already, there's a wholesaler near me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It terrifies people to change their own brake pads.Its not like they'll drop of after you've installed them.Seriously,if you have any doubts go to youtube.Its so simple.DIY & save a whole lot of money since you are short on it anyway.If you have never done them,there's a first time for everything.
    Posters,thank you for the Monday morning entertainment.
    I've seen other people do it, but I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have, but when my neighbor does his he's forever slamming a metal hammer against them to get whatever it is off that he's taking off. Stuff like that scares me. I shouldn't need a hammer to fix a brake, right? I've also noticed some people use some clamp thing to bleed the lines, my landlord says you don't need to do that you can do it from the brake. Everyone seems to do them differently. I let one of my friends do my brakes once, an ASE certified dumbass. I wound up having to call a tow truck because he screwed something up and couldn't fix it.

Banned
    I haven't heard any squealing sound, or grinding sound. Here's what it sounds like: from the right rear when I brake from highway speeds it sounds like a bunch of empty water jugs are rolling around under the wheel. It's a new one for me. I never heard that sound in any car before.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've worked on cars and computers. Seriously dude, just replace your own pads. I would equate the difficulty to upgrading a video card (including uninstalling previous drivers, and downloading new ones). If you had never changed a video card before, but you had several guides to read through on how to do it, do you think you could?

The brake pads might take a little longer, and you have the chance of banging your knuckles, but who hasn't sliced their hand on a poorly manufactured computer case?

I replaced my first set of pads on my own with no tutorial. Identify the part that needs to be replaced, identify what holds it on, remove that, remove the part that needs to be replaced.. you get the idea. Now I needed some help bleeding the lines, but that's because I did it the old fashioned way (pumping the pedal).

Any way you would go about disabling your rear brakes would seriously diminish your ability to control the car and endanger the lives of other motorists.

I Support ClubWRX
    Double check for something loose and debris. Also do check the pads, including the inners. The sound seems odd you are right.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The sound seems odd you are right.

heh, I agree.. I would put the rear end up on some jack stands and fool around with that wheel to see of you can reproduce the noise and figure out what is causing it. Something might be loose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I've worked on cars and computers. Seriously dude, just replace your own pads. I would equate the difficulty to upgrading a video card (including uninstalling previous drivers, and downloading new ones). If you had never changed a video card before, but you had several guides to read through on how to do it, do you think you could?

The brake pads might take a little longer, and you have the chance of banging your knuckles, but who hasn't sliced their hand on a poorly manufactured computer case?

I replaced my first set of pads on my own with no tutorial. Identify the part that needs to be replaced, identify what holds it on, remove that, remove the part that needs to be replaced.. you get the idea. Now I needed some help bleeding the lines, but that's because I did it the old fashioned way (pumping the pedal).

Any way you would go about disabling your rear brakes would seriously diminish your ability to control the car and endanger the lives of other motorists.
    When you buy new pads, does the box they come in explain how to bleed the line? Or if you even need to?

Banned
    Well it didn't make that sound before the guy at Subaru decided to take the wheels off. I hate to have to go back there to get them to check it out since they'll want to charge me if they don't find anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.