04' STI, need help ASAP.

This is a discussion on 04' STI, need help ASAP. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll try to explain this with as much details as possible since I do not have any photos or video. ...

04' STI, need help ASAP.

I'll try to explain this with as much details as possible since I do not have any photos or video. 04'STI, 148k miles stock.

Well, this has happened a few times but has not occurred in a while so I assumed it was fixed. Yesterday after turning off the car and heading to BK, when I got my order I left. When I turned on the car it began to shake and then I noticed smoke coming from the right side of the engine bay. I immediately turned off the car and back on again, same thing. So I decided to wait a while and then it went back to normal, I still drove home very carefully.

** This happens basically within the same time frame 5min; turn car off, leave for a few minutes, turn back on -- then noticeable shaking starts with smoke coming from engine bay.**

I just really need to know what this is before it gets worse, also can it be that my brother accidentally put 89 octane gas instead of 93 a few weeks ago (I quickly changed the gas, since I noticed knocking noise meaning he put wrong gas, which thankfully the noise is slowly reducing).

EDIT -- I found a video of how my idle was everytime this happens, only thing is the car in the video is a WRX. I was looking for another one but with a STI, no success.

Thanks everyone for the help
    Last edited by DoloSoLow; 01-30-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Found a video source

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's start with what mods the car has. Is it stock?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yes, its completely stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if it doesn't have a CEL then it could be alot of things. Maybe it just needs new sparkplugs or the MAF cleaned. Check to see if anything is loose/cracked on vacuum hoses and intake track. Clean and retorque the engine grounds and battery terminals. With any substantial data its kinda hard to diagnose of the internet.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S