UGH P0171

This is a discussion on UGH P0171 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i have the infamous P0171 CEL. Rough idle, crappy power, the usual. Checked every line i can think of, ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar

UGH P0171

Well i have the infamous P0171 CEL. Rough idle, crappy power, the usual. Checked every line i can think of, no leaks in sight. Cleaned my MAF, tried clearing the code and trying again. The plugs are only 10k old, same with fuel filter, brand new fuel pump. Only recent change was putting a 90 amp alternator on. So i guess im either missing something or its an injector or O2 sensor or....i have no idea.

Taking it to the shop tomorow to have it looked at. Just thought i would share the end of my day with all my Subaru friends that know these problems better than anyone
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well sorry to hear it. You checked the right places so far. Could there be a small leak you didn't notice maybe on the underside of a hose?

The MAF may just be faulty too so cleaning it won't help. Your oiled intake may have done it over time.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Its definitely possible i missed a leak, tough to tell in my dark garage when its cold out. And my though is the MAF is bad, i just have a feeling that is it. Hopefully its not an injector but i guess whatever it is it needs fixed so who knows. On another note.. is it possible that the new alternator could affect it, possibly sending too much power to a sensor?? Also, should a new alternator be loud? This one seems to be very loud, not really whining as much as a humming noise.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Why did you put in that alternator instead of a stock one? As soon as you start messing with things like that, you can cause problems...

I still have the stock alternator from my STi if you're interested.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    did you clean the MAF or the IAT bulb? very common to clean the IAT bulb and not the actual MAF wires
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Stock alternator from Subaru is 300+ stock STI is 500+, replacement WRX from Oreilleys is 220+, replacement STI from Oreilleys is $120. Honestly, I cant afford the extra couple hundred dollars on a simple fix. I now may be regretting that but i'll let you know if i need the alternator. Kevin, i did make sure to clean the actual MAF, though i had to do a double take to remind myself of the difference as i didnt the first go round.

Well as crappy as it is i am taking my car into a shop right now. I really dont have the time this week to diagnose it myself. My days consist of 8am at the latest to 8pm at the earliest. Guess we will find out soon enough
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

So a mixture of a few loose/cracked vacuum lines and a valve that i cannot remember the name of (IACV sounds right but they said it could have gotten crushed when changing the alternator??) were supposedly the culprit. Part has to come in tomorow so it will be in the shop over night and fixed by tomorrow afternoon as long as nothing else is wrong. So far the damage is $250.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not too bad, hopefully that is the problem.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    The IAC valve is on top of the throttlebody. I'm thinking you broke the EVAP soleniod,which is right behind the alternator.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The IAC valve is on top of the throttlebody. I'm thinking you broke the EVAP soleniod,which is right behind the alternator.
    That sounds right....I have had so much crap going on that i cant keep my facts straight. So EVAP soleniod was broken, couple loose vac hoses, one cracked hose, and hopefully thats it. They are fixing it tomorow and smoking it all again to check for additional leaks then i should be able to pick it up. Overall im pretty happy as a bad O2 sensor or MAF would have added to the cost dramatically.

Now to just figure out how to get 2 cars home with just me.....hmmmm. All i know is even driving a supercharged V8 trailblazer does nothing to ease the despair (sp?) of not having my Subaru

/most depressed post i have ever had
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics