Low beams suddenly stopped working

This is a discussion on Low beams suddenly stopped working within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The low beams suddenly don't work on my 07 Wrx. I replaced my headlamps less then 5 months ago with ...

Low beams suddenly stopped working

The low beams suddenly don't work on my 07 Wrx. I replaced my headlamps less then 5 months ago with GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs. I seriously doubt they both burnt out at the same time. All my fuses and relays are fine...

...I'm I missing something here? Or did both bulbs seriously burn out in 5 months?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This happened in my pickup truck the other day (still waiting for my WRX to arrive on order), turned out to be the dimmer switch.

On a side note, I got to work by taping paper over the lights on high beam, hey it got me there.

Hope that helps.

get out a multimeter - see if the lights are at least getting voltage when they should.

Also - DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Hagen - Everything else on the dimmer switch functions fine. Could it be possible that just the low beam function woudln't work? When I turn the switch...everything else that normally comes on with the lowbeams still turns on.

Poly - Thanks! I'll pull out the voltage meter tomorrow. I also used latex gloves when installing the headlamps. So I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it especially since they functioned just fine for nearly 5 months.

I'll post any findings. Even if it's just a coinidence that the bulbs burnt out at the same time.

On my truck all the other lights worked exept my low beams, I flipped the high beam switch and the high beams worked. To be honest I didn't even troubleshoot it, I have had that happen on my past 3 vehicles and replacing the switch fixed it. These were all American vehicles and changing the switch was really easy with a Chiltons manual. I really don't know whats involved with the Subaru.

After I replied to you yesteday I did a Google search with something like "low beams don't work, dimmer switch, Subaru" and there was some more technical ideas. If you really wanted to dig into it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the head light relays with a multimeter.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well...I got exactly what I had hoped for.... both bulbs were burnt. So needless to say GE Nighthawk Platinums are a waste of money considering they didn't even last 5 months. I decided to put in a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions bulbs which are half the cost of the Nighthawks.

Only time will tell if the Sylvania's exceed the bar of 5 months set by GE.