WRX shaking at full stop.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX shaking at full stop. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday I hopped in my car and went to the store. I didn't warm it up like I usually do, ...

Banned

WRX shaking at full stop.

Yesterday I hopped in my car and went to the store. I didn't warm it up like I usually do, but then they say new cars don't need to be (except I find when it's really cold I can't shift).

I get up the street at normal speeds (25 or so) and I'm at a light waiting and I notice the car is shaking back and forth. Like side to side, not front to back. I put it in neutral: same thing. I hit the gas a little and inch up, it still does it. I even noticed it while I was driving for a little bit, but then it went away.

I have no idea what it is, but every time I go to Subaru they say there's nothing wrong with the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Yesterday I hopped in my car and went to the store. I didn't warm it up like I usually do, but then they say new cars don't need to be (except I find when it's really cold I can't shift).

I get up the street at normal speeds (25 or so) and I'm at a light waiting and I notice the car is shaking back and forth. Like side to side, not front to back. I put it in neutral: same thing. I hit the gas a little and inch up, it still does it. I even noticed it while I was driving for a little bit, but then it went away.

I have no idea what it is, but every time I go to Subaru they say there's nothing wrong with the car.
    Two questions... Is the check engine light on? And has it done this since you bought the car?
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Banned
    No, this is totally new since I bought the car two years ago. The check engine light wasn't on yesterday when it was happening, but today while it was driving like a finely tuned machine the heck engine light came on. I have an appointment tomorrow to see why.

Need to hear about why the CEL went on before commenting.

Is the car stock? How many miles? Any recent changes you've made?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No, this is totally new since I bought the car two years ago. The check engine light wasn't on yesterday when it was happening, but today while it was driving like a finely tuned machine the heck engine light came on. I have an appointment tomorrow to see why.
    That might give you an idea, when you find out the code, post it, it might help with the diagnosis. I'm thinking a misfire
    Stink eye mob #727

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Need to hear about why the CEL went on before commenting.

Is the car stock? How many miles? Any recent changes you've made?
    The car is stock (too poor to do anything about that), it's a 2008 with 50,400 miles on it. No recent changes to the car.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    That might give you an idea, when you find out the code, post it, it might help with the diagnosis. I'm thinking a misfire
    How do you check what code it is? I don't have an access port or even a laptop to hook it up to.

Take to to autozone or any other auto shop.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cgsimmang View Post
    Take to to autozone or any other auto shop.
    It's going to Subaru tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone knew what it might be. Someone mentioned it might be misfiring. Any idea why that would be?

Banned
    It is time for a tune-up, it's never had one since I bought it at 8,000 miles. But I've gone to every free check up Subaru has had including the one in November and they always say it's fine, nothing wrong with it. So I'm not sure why it would ever need a tune up.

Is it still on original plugs? That could be a cause. At 50k miles they could be starting to go. Or they could be ok. I'd replace them at that kind of mileage.

Any autozone or local place will read the codes for free. Again, without knowing that, could be anything. Bad coilpack, spark plug wire, or any number of things.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

It is time for a tune-up, it's never had one since I bought it at 8,000 miles. But I've gone to every free check up Subaru has had including the one in November and they always say it's fine, nothing wrong with it. So I'm not sure why it would ever need a tune up.
    That free check rarely includes pulling spark plugs, they probably figure if it isn't misfiring, they're OK
    Stink eye mob #727

My 03 wrx shakes too never threw a code or anything of that nature, drives fine, and is stock sadly enough
    Autozone will probably say its an O2 sensor lol; but my buddy says it feels like a misfire and that would throw a code for sure if there was. i just assumed it was a subaru thing. I did a tune up on it my self but it would shake before i did the tune up.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobaru03 View Post
    My 03 wrx shakes too never threw a code or anything of that nature, drives fine, and is stock sadly enough
    Autozone will probably say its an O2 sensor lol; but my buddy says it feels like a misfire and that would throw a code for sure if there was. i just assumed it was a subaru thing. I did a tune up on it my self but it would shake before i did the tune up.
    Boxer engines shake at idle, it's the nature of the beast and is totally normal. If it's excessive, it needs to be addressed.
    Stink eye mob #727

Banned
    Once again when I went to Subaru they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. The computer didn't give any code so the were baffled as to what it was. Wasn't the gas cap in case you're wondering. They cleared the code, but while I was there I did the PCV, which was funny because they snapped a bolt getting the intercooler off and I wound up waiting 3 hours while they fixed it. They did tell me my back brakes are completely worn, and showed them to me, but I know a shop that will do it a lot cheaper than Subaru and my car is stopping just fine (I engine brake as much as I can before using my regular brakes). My tires are also pretty worn, but between the two things that could be close to $1,000 so that will have to wait for another day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.