03 has smoke coming from exhaust, and turbo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 03 has smoke coming from exhaust, and turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; today i woke up, drove 10 min to get smogged... turns out it fails... because of "visible smoke".. I was ...

03 has smoke coming from exhaust, and turbo

today i woke up, drove 10 min to get smogged... turns out it fails... because of "visible smoke".. I was shocked because ive never noticed it smoking, but sure enough as i was driving home i noticed some smoke in my mirror... when i got home i left it running and saw the smoke start to come from under the hood, I looked and it was coming from the turbo, on the exhaust side, i did not see smoke coming out of the oil filler cap, Three days ago i was trying to keep up w my friends sti, and when we pulled over and popped my hood, it smelt like burnt oil.. other than that everythings cool. car has 144k miles. any ideas what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is it coming from the turbo or the engine? How much smoke is there? What color is the smoke?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Need a better description of where the smoke is coming from. You say exhaust, and also turbo. Is it the exhaust side of the turbo? Is it leaking from a joint, or somewhere else?

What mods does the car have? Any recent changes?
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ok, the smoke is white/greyish, its coming from the joint of the turbo, if that makes sense, where the exhaust half connects w the turbine part.. I got the oil change recently, i usualy use mobil one, this time the shop used synthetic valvoline. The smoke will only come from the exhasust sometimes; the turbo may be smoking a little, but no smoke out the tailpipe...but in traffic yesterday i could see a little bit in my mirror.. the car is stock and has 140k miles.. thanks for bearing with me, ive always been horrible at posting on forums

it seems like it started after the oil change maybe?

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you always run synthetic? white smoke is water/ coolant burning. oil burns blue. check you coolant lines to the turbo and near the turbo. there is a coolant line underneath the turbo near the front center of the car.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

It could be the shop used a lighter weight oil than you had in there before that's now seeping past some seals.

I'm betting when he says "white/greyish" Josh the greyish is actually more blue, but hard to see.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Ya, it could be an incorrect oil. Or possibly because of high mileage some of the seals are giving out and oil is getting into the turbo and burning out through the exhaust.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if it is the turbo you could be in luck, check out my posting for my 03 tubo
    2003 Subaru wrx oem TD04 turbo - eBay (item 150553294429 end time Jan-30-11 13:26:33 PST)
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.