02' wrx 110k miles, loosing oil but not leaking???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02' wrx 110k miles, loosing oil but not leaking??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hows it going ya'll? Just trying to figure this thing out. Someone told me once that turbos, if used hard ...

02' wrx 110k miles, loosing oil but not leaking???

Hows it going ya'll?

Just trying to figure this thing out. Someone told me once that turbos, if used hard will be the cause for some oil loss. But about a quart every week or two? No oil spots on the ground where I park every day/night either. I'm baffled. Can this mean the death of my car soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is called blow-by. What oil are you using? When was the last time it was changed?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I change about every 5k miles or just less, have gone over once or twice. I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 for about a year now.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    First, change the oil every 3k miles. Second, many people have had problems with mobil 1 in there suby's, and many have had success with it. Try a different brand of oil, and change it at 3k miles and then see.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    First, change the oil every 3k miles. Second, many people have had problems with mobil 1 in there suby's, and many have had success with it. Try a different brand of oil, and change it at 3k miles and then see.
    Sorry Josh, but I'm going to have to disagree wholeheartedly. The recommended oil change interval with Mobil 1 on the latest 911's is 20k miles. My brother is the head of lubricants (among other things) for Otis Elevator and Escalator North America, and a car guy, and talks directly to the engineers that design the stuff. It can last for 25k miles without a problem. 3k miles oil changes with synthetic are purely a waste of oil.

If there's nothing on the ground, I'm with oguitar. The rings on the car are letting blow-by go through. There's really nowhere else oil can go than on the ground or through the exhaust.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    He never said it was synthetic
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    It is called blow-by.
    any good threads on this topic you guys know about?

edit... forget it found one... here, ill share.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/blowby.html
    Last edited by tommyp; 01-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.

"Detergents and Molybdenum Disulfide work together to clean the soot and deposits off of your rings allowing them to better seal the combustion chamber."

Anyone ever do this themselves to help reduce blow-by?

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    He never said it was synthetic
    I'm an idiot, I just assumed anybody who knows cars these days uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    "Detergents and Molybdenum Disulfide work together to clean the soot and deposits off of your rings allowing them to better seal the combustion chamber."

Anyone ever do this themselves to help reduce blow-by?
    Nothing is going to magically repair a physical problem in the engine. A heavier weight oil is where I'd start, a 10w-40. What weight are you running now?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm an idiot, I just assumed anybody who knows cars these days uses it.

Nothing is going to magically repair a physical problem in the engine. A heavier weight oil is where I'd start, a 10w-40. What weight are you running now?
    Yeah I understand, just curious. I am using 5w-30 now, I will try the 10w-30 next time around and see... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I really meant...I will try the 10w-40 next time around and see... Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.