What gas station do you use??? need help. ASAP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What gas station do you use??? need help. ASAP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Trainrex Downhill on freshly greased wheel bearings! It was downhill. On a side note, I was down ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Downhill on freshly greased wheel bearings!
    It was downhill.

On a side note, I was down in South America during Christmas. You would be surprised how many of those are still running around down there!
    Hondas are bullet proof. (Still waiting for those vacation pics.)
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/81544.png
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    Hondas are bullet proof. (Still waiting for those vacation pics.)
    Ha ha. My wife just came back yesterday. She spent another few weeks with her family. She brought back the pics with her. I'll let her know you're threatening me.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Hapco Petroleum is basically just that gas station. It went from being a BP-branded station to privately branded. But it still sells BP gas (or Amoco, which is owned by BP). Exactly my point about no-name stations still selling brand-name gas. It's only cheaper because they aren't paying a royalty to use the major name.
    I figured it was something of that nature...the Indians bought it and flipped it virtually overnight.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The CB 100 is now a collector bike in the US and can fetch a pretty penny.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I fill up only at the Shell nearby.I was under the impression that V-Power does not contain ethanol until I saw a sign at another Shell-may contain 10% Ethanol.Tell me it isn't so.
    I fill up my other car at BP only bcoz they now have a promo gift card after every 5 fill ups.
    Also I hate filling up in NJ,why can't we just pump our own gas.I'm all for employment opportunities but having someone stand outside freezing so that we don't have to get out of our car seems like slavery to me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any major gas station chain is fine with me, whatever one is cheapest when I need a fill.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I figured it was something of that nature...the Indians bought it and flipped it virtually overnight.
    Yup they bought the station but not the rights to use the BP name. It's still BP gas though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I fill up only at the Shell nearby.I was under the impression that V-Power does not contain ethanol until I saw a sign at another Shell-may contain 10% Ethanol.Tell me it isn't so.
    Yup, it's a regulation in NY that it needs to. I'm a former resident and still travel there a lot. My dad lived in Westchester and I've spent a lot of time there. Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Any major gas station chain is fine with me, whatever one is cheapest when I need a fill.
    Ah my dear mod haven't you been reading? You're still getting "major gas station chain" gas anywhere you fill up. You just save $ at the no-names since they're not paying a royalty. If you don't care what chain you buy from, then just buy from the no-name and save yourself a bit. Yeah it's not much, but better in your pocket than somebody else's. You can buy yourself lunch once every month or two for free basically and snub your nose at the major chains.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, it's a regulation in NY that it needs to. I'm a former resident and still travel there a lot. My dad lived in Westchester and I've spent a lot of time there. Where do you live?
    Really?That sucks.I live in Yonkers,work in White Plains.I take the Bronx river parkway to work,the oldest parkway in the country.Man its a blast to drive,the only road of its kind here,especially the twisty Garth woods section.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    There are a few ethanol-free gas stations here. I use that gas for the lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.

Ah my dear mod haven't you been reading? You're still getting "major gas station chain" gas anywhere you fill up. You just save $ at the no-names since they're not paying a royalty. If you don't care what chain you buy from, then just buy from the no-name and save yourself a bit. Yeah it's not much, but better in your pocket than somebody else's. You can buy yourself lunch once every month or two for free basically and snub your nose at the major chains.
    You grew up in this area, so you should know there aren't many non-major gas stations around. A few more have popped up since you left, but they're still fairly uncommon. Pretty much the only one I steer clear of are Stewart's and Cumberland Farms, because I've gotten too many tanks of bad gas from them.

Surprisingly, where the no-name gas stations are, there's usually a major chain nearby which is cheaper :shrug:
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'm partial to Sunoco. There may be minor differences, but as long as the gas is labeled 93 octane you should be fine. If you are running a 100% stock WRX you could use 91 octane as it is the minimum called for (look at the label on the filler door or owner's manual).
    Aye, Sunoco all the way. Though for some reason there are only Exxon's and Shell's in central PA...

I've written manuals on this on several forums. I work for the leading energy information/research company in the world and here's the scoop:
    The gas at your local no-name station comes from a major refiner. It may be the exact same gas you get at the Shell down the street. There's no real way to know without researching where they buy from. But there is no "cheap" gas. Every gas sold at a no-name station is a major brand.
    ^Very true. I worked (start full time in June) for the 2nd largest refinery on the east coast over the summer. If you bought gas any where in New Jersey, there is a very high chance it came from that one refinery.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Really?That sucks.I live in Yonkers,work in White Plains.I take the Bronx river parkway to work,the oldest parkway in the country.Man its a blast to drive,the only road of its kind here,especially the twisty Garth woods section.
    My dad lived up north of you in Croton. I worked for him for a few years and the place we worked a lot was in Mt Vernon. Not a good area of it either. But I've been all over Westchester/NYC, learned to drive there. Trial by fire.
    There are a few ethanol-free gas stations here. I use that gas for the lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.
    You grew up in this area, so you should know there aren't many non-major gas stations around. A few more have popped up since you left, but they're still fairly uncommon. Pretty much the only one I steer clear of are Stewart's and Cumberland Farms, because I've gotten too many tanks of bad gas from them.

Surprisingly, where the no-name gas stations are, there's usually a major chain nearby which is cheaper :shrug:
    Well I didn't realize that's where you live. I didn't know where the dark side of the moon is.

I have to tell you, any bias against Stewart's or Cumby's is really not with any evidence. I've shopped at both of those hundreds of times (thousands?) in my life and bought gas there, and besides that, I've already talked about how major refineries supply every gas station. The gas you buy at either of those is name brand gas without any difference to what you'd get at Shell, Mobil (which is prevalent where those 2 stores exist), or anybody else. The same tanker delivers it. If you'd like I can look up what exact refinery delivers there if you'd like to know. It'll just take a little work, but it's a major brand.

Many petroleum companies don't operate their own refineries. The gas you buy from a name brand is just as likely formulated by a refining company to the petroleum company specifications as the petroleum company refining it themselves. No convenience store, including ones that are as big as Stewart's or Cumby's operates their own refinery. And none of them specify their own blend. Only branded gas stations do, but the station doesn't, the brand does. Thinking you've gotten "bad gas" at those places is just wrong. That is impossible. If you want to argue with me, please go to IHS.com | Energy | Home and review what my company does first. On a daily basis, I deal with companies such as Hess, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Lukoil, and I'm personally responsible for doing a project for the King of Saudi Arabia right now. Please don't argue with my facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Aye, Sunoco all the way. Though for some reason there are only Exxon's and Shell's in central PA...

^Very true. I worked (start full time in June) for the 2nd largest refinery on the east coast over the summer. If you bought gas any where in New Jersey, there is a very high chance it came from that one refinery.
    Not exactly true. The gas at each station is according to what refinery that station was affiliated with. NJ has a bunch of them because of the demand for gas on the East Coast. Gas also gets imported on tankers from the gulf already refined.

On a side note, I was living in Westchester and working in DC for the DOD and coming down the Jersey Turnpike one day there was an oil tank on fire in a tank field next to the highway. The top had blown and flames were easily going 500' if not 1000' into the sky. I've never seen anything like that...
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I didn't realize that's where you live. I didn't know where the dark side of the moon is.
    We've talked about it in the past

I have to tell you, any bias against Stewart's or Cumby's is really not with any evidence. I've shopped at both of those hundreds of times (thousands?) in my life and bought gas there, and besides that, I've already talked about how major refineries supply every gas station. The gas you buy at either of those is name brand gas without any difference to what you'd get at Shell, Mobil (which is prevalent where those 2 stores exist), or anybody else. The same tanker delivers it. If you'd like I can look up what exact refinery delivers there if you'd like to know. It'll just take a little work, but it's a major brand.

Many petroleum companies don't operate their own refineries. The gas you buy from a name brand is just as likely formulated by a refining company to the petroleum company specifications as the petroleum company refining it themselves. No convenience store, including ones that are as big as Stewart's or Cumby's operates their own refinery. And none of them specify their own blend. Only branded gas stations do, but the station doesn't, the brand does. Thinking you've gotten "bad gas" at those places is just wrong. That is impossible. If you want to argue with me, please go to IHS.com | Energy | Home and review what my company does first. On a daily basis, I deal with companies such as Hess, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Lukoil, and I'm personally responsible for doing a project for the King of Saudi Arabia right now. Please don't argue with my facts.
    I understand it's your job, and the truth of the matter.

My basis for believing I've gotten bad gas from them is the fact that my IAM has dropped to as low as 10/12 on multiple occasions when I've filled up with gas from Cumby/Stewart's; as soon as I filled up again at another station, IAM returned to 16. Maybe the gas itself isn't an issue, and it's the tanks that hold the gas that contaminated it. Maybe they wrongly labeled the gas as 93 octane. All I know is I won't shop there because of the way my car reacts to the gas I've bought there.

The Cumby stations in this area also have had issues with bad gas in which they had to replace engines because of the gas they were putting out. There was a story within the last few years about this on the local news.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-21-2011 at 07:03 AM.

UNYSOC

Not exactly true. The gas at each station is according to what refinery that station was affiliated with. NJ has a bunch of them because of the demand for gas on the East Coast. Gas also gets imported on tankers from the gulf already refined.

On a side note, I was living in Westchester and working in DC for the DOD and coming down the Jersey Turnpike one day there was an oil tank on fire in a tank field next to the highway. The top had blown and flames were easily going 500' if not 1000' into the sky. I've never seen anything like that...
    I may have slightly over over-exagerated, but since the company I worked with doesn't have any stations in the NE, we primarily supply gas to some of the major brands in the area.

Possible bleve?

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...plosion-491143

Relatively small one compared to what you were talking about. But there are quite a few refineries along the NJ turnpike with tanks that are EXTREMELY close to the highway. A little scary if you think about it.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

We've talked about it in the past
    Bah humbug I have a terrible memory.

I understand it's your job, and the truth of the matter.

My basis for believing I've gotten bad gas from them is the fact that my IAM has dropped to as low as 10/12 on multiple occasions when I've filled up with gas from Cumby/Stewart's; as soon as I filled up again at another station, IAM returned to 16. Maybe the gas itself isn't an issue, and it's the tanks that hold the gas that contaminated it. Maybe they wrongly labeled the gas as 93 octane. All I know is I won't shop there because of the way my car reacts to the gas I've bought there.

The Cumby stations in this area also have had issues with bad gas in which they had to replace engines because of the gas they were putting out. There was a story within the last few years about this on the local news.
    I'd more likely go with the tanks themselves and sediment in them as the problem. That's why you never ever fill up if a tanker is at a station filling them up. It's stirring up everything in the tank, which then goes right into your engine. Some places have issues with sediment due to tank design, age, or other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    I may have slightly over over-exagerated, but since the company I worked with doesn't have any stations in the NE, we primarily supply gas to some of the major brands in the area.

Possible bleve?

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...plosion-491143

Relatively small one compared to what you were talking about. But there are quite a few refineries along the NJ turnpike with tanks that are EXTREMELY close to the highway. A little scary if you think about it.
    That's tiny compared to the one I saw. There's a huge tank farm up in northern NJ along the turnpike, and this was a tank probably 100' across and 50' tall (at least, probably bigger). The flames weren't going less than 500', and were flaring to 1000' easily. The smoke cloud was 20x larger than the one in that video you linked. It was unreal. I don't know how the whole tank farm didn't go up, but they must have an amazing fire suppression system there.
    Scott

I scoff at the prices that are being mentioned on this thread. Don't come to san diego and fill up, because I paid $3.71/gal for 91 octane last week. It's eating away at my bank account!

At this point, I am scowering daily lists published by our local news stations to find the cheapest gas in my area. I seriously don't care what it is, as long as its the cheapest.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast