smoking on tick over

This is a discussion on smoking on tick over within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys my car is smoking on tick over the colour coming from the exhaust is white, and ocassionally turns ...

Red face smoking on tick over

hi guys
    my car is smoking on tick over the colour coming from the exhaust is white, and ocassionally turns blue.and smells of oil and fuel.
    today i have done a compression test and the results are, all at 152 .
    the engine is using alot of oil i would say 1 liter every two weeks if not more.
    and also its chucking out oil and petrol from the exhaust (loads) when its reved up stood still.it but no smoke while driving.
    do you think it could be the valve seals ? or turbo
    how could i find out ?
    thanks colin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Year, model, mods, mileage? How long has this been going on for? Did it start suddenly or gradually over time? Hard to answer a question when you don't specify anything about the car you drive other than the compression.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    If your compression test said 152 on 4 cylinders, you need a new one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Why would you say that? Just because the values are way off the charts?
    That and I've never seen more than 2 cylinders with the same reading down to the pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    That and I've never seen more than 2 cylinders with the same reading down to the pound.
    Deleted the last post while trying to edit it. I learned something new today, looked up normal compression on these motors and some people quote over 200 psi as normal for a new motor? Can that be right?

In my experience, normal compression readings for a good cylinder on pretty much any car with a few miles on it should be in the 120 range. 130 is excellent. 150 would be what you'd see on a brand new motor with zero miles.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Deleted the last post while trying to edit it. I learned something new today, looked up normal compression on these motors and some people quote over 200 psi as normal for a new motor? Can that be right?
    I've never seen anything read that high other than a tired diesel. Naturally there are many factors such as camshaft profiles, elevation, etc etc. The most I've come across on a NA gas engine was 180PSI. Most of the WRX's seem to puff 140ish.

Year, model, mods, mileage? How long has this been going on for? Did it start suddenly or gradually over time? Hard to answer a question when you don't specify anything about the car you drive other than the compression.....
    right down to facts :
    its a 1996 classic jap import sti
    its been somking 3 months , started suddenly over those 3 months.
    the engine is a recon one costing 750 so milage is about 3000 done .
    but i have noticed after driving normally and then just pull up somewhere after 5 to 10 mintues the smoke starts?
    i hope this helps you figger out some kind of fault i have
    thanks colin

Where does the smoke come from after that 5-10 minutes of sitting? Tailpipe, engine bay, where? And I assume you mean the car is shut off and then 5-10 mins later it starts smoking, not when you're idling?
    Scott

I've never seen anything read that high other than a tired diesel. Naturally there are many factors such as camshaft profiles, elevation, etc etc. The most I've come across on a NA gas engine was 180PSI. Most of the WRX's seem to puff 140ish.
    See here I thought the OP was crazy to quote values that high, but in post 2 the guy say 216 PSI:
    Normal Compression???? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Maybe they're both crazy. Those values are through the roof! I know different machines can measure it differently, but those are just huge numbers.
    Scott

Where does the smoke come from after that 5-10 minutes of sitting? Tailpipe, engine bay, where? And I assume you mean the car is shut off and then 5-10 mins later it starts smoking, not when you're idling?
    hi mate yes its coming out of the tail pipe
    and the smoke can start straight after driving then just at a stop and it smokes, or on start up from cold .
    its starts weather the cars hot or cold stood still.
    thanks colin

White smoke at startup may just be water vapor, especially in the cold. But if it's there after driving for a while, it's likely coolant. Blue smoke is oil burning. I don't want to jump to a bad conclusion, but I'm wondering if you have a head gasket leak.
    Scott

they was all not the same reading 2 of pistons read 152 . the other 2 was 150-151

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by colinsti View Post
    i have done a compression test and the results are, all at 152 .
    We're only as good as what you tell us. 152, 152, 151, 150 sounds a little more believable on a fresh engine.

We're only as good as what you tell us. 152, 152, 151, 150 sounds a little more believable on a fresh engine.
    +1 those sound just about perfect for a new engine. There shouldn't be smoke though, which leads me to believe something wasn't rebuilt correctly somewhere. Could be a gasket wasn't seated properly and is leaking or something like that. I'd look at something like that first since the engine is pretty new.
    Scott