power window, interior fan and trunk latch repairs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on power window, interior fan and trunk latch repairs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 99 WRX, the engine is great, the rest is a bit worse for wear but I love ...

power window, interior fan and trunk latch repairs

I have a 99 WRX, the engine is great, the rest is a bit worse for wear but I love my car.

Two of the windows were getting sticky and slow, now one won't move. The other needs help to go up.

The release latch for the trunk and fuel cover don't work.

My husband's 99 STI interior fan got noisy and now has stopped working- the fuses are fine.

Last year I replaced my fuel pump using your helpful instructions.

I love to fix things but don't want to make things worse. Are these problems DIY?

Yvonne
    Perth Western Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can do anything DIY, it just depends on your skills and your tool collection.

The window regulators most likely need to be replaced. It's a pretty simple process:
    1. Remove interior door cards.
    2. Remove regulator.
    3. Install new regulator.

In the US those parts are about $200-250 each.

The usual problem with the trunk release and fuel door release is the cables get corroded and break. Those are a bit more involved to replace because they run under the carpet in the cabin, so you basically have to remove the seats and carpet to get to it. Again, not that difficult, just time consuming.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I've got heaps of tools
    How can I tighten the cables if they are slack, which I think may be the problem?
    if I need new regulators in Australia, do you have any advice re getting hold of handbook for '99WRX and STI so I know what parts to order?

You can't tighten those cables. They do stretch over time, not just break, so that sounds like your problem. And with the age of your car, it's entirely likely they're going to break some time soon anyway.

The window regulator is just a single part. Call the parts department of your local Subaru and they'll tell you exactly what you need.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.