Supertones Install Help on a 2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Supertones Install Help on a 2011 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so I don't really know where I went wrong and after a long time of looking around different places ...

Supertones Install Help on a 2011

Okay so I don't really know where I went wrong and after a long time of looking around different places I can't seem to find anyone else having the problem that I am.

So I got the Hella Supertones and also got the Subimods harness because I just can't stand doing wiring myself.

I went and ran the harness to the battery and got that set all up then I hooked everything together for a test to see if they work before I continue. They worked perfectly fine and they are loud as f**k. So all I had left to do was mount the horns and zip tie and tuck the wiring. During all of this I did not at all unhook the wiring. I left everything exactly how it was from the test fit.

So long story short, after I mounted them and got everything situated how I liked it, and put the grill back on, they don't work at all. No sound at all coming from them. There is another horn which seems to be behind the pass. headlight that is making sound when I press the horn. The supertones aren't working at all. just a reminder, after I tested them and they worked I never at any point disconnected any of the wiring, so it should work.

I am kind of at a loss here. They worked perfectly fine and now all of a sudden they don't work at all and there is some mystery horn coming from behind the pass headlight. I am just dumbfounded.

If anyone can give me any sort of idea as to wtf I did wrong or what's happening I would really appreciate it.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    During your ziptie work, you might have accidentally grounded out one of your connections. I made my own harness and did that.

I believe the subiemod harness doesn't have a fuse, so its possible (highly unlikely, though) that you fried the horns.

Check your wiring connections again, making sure all connections are well-protected from the elements and aren't strained.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Yea I was talking to one of my buddies and it's possible that I somehow shorted it, so I am going to take it all apart and just like redo it again. I think I can make the wiring neater so I'll do that.

I guess while I am at it I should add a fuse in there too.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Def. add a fuse! When I installed my Alcohol System on my WRX the instructions said nothing about a fuse, well I bought a fuse blocked and fuse every wire that went to B+...Cant hurt to play it safe ....Also check for power and switched ground at the connector for the horn...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    There is another horn which seems to be behind the pass. headlight that is making sound when I press the horn. The supertones aren't working at all.
    I didn't get that part.Aren't you supposed to unhook the factory horn and plug it into the 86 on the relay through a male-female disconnects?How is it that the factory horn still works?Sadly,the only way to know whats wrong for sure is to take everything apart.And yes,get a 20 amp in line fuse.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I didn't get that part.Aren't you supposed to unhook the factory horn and plug it into the 86 on the relay through a male-female disconnects?How is it that the factory horn still works?Sadly,the only way to know whats wrong for sure is to take everything apart.And yes,get a 20 amp in line fuse.
    I know what horn he's talking about. I have it in my bugeye too. That's really strange that that horn is activating. I can't figure out what its for. its not the factory alarm, that uses the supertones.

If that rear one is working, you can try running the 86 relay wire there instead of the front horn signal and see what happens.

Sent using Tapatalk
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Okay, I'm gonna bump this back up just because I (hopefully) am gonna give this a whirl again this weekend. I just removed the harness and have the horns sitting on the car. FYI I loathe the cold so working on my car basically doesn't happen.

Anywho....I found out I blew the Hella relay somehow, probably from shorting it out or something. So I ordered another one and I got a in-line fuse holder. My main question is: the Hella relay is a 12v 30a, so should I add a 30a fuse in the in-line holder? My guess is just that if the relay is 30a, I should use a 30a fuse, correct?

Other question I had: Is there a pos/neg on the horns themselves? I don't remember seeing any distinction between the posts off the back, but this was over a month ago since I last looked at them.

I'm sorry for the stupid questions but I'll be honest, I'm pretty bad with wiring and stuff unless it's a stereo install and I just want to get it right this time.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    A 20 amp fuse is sufficient. That's what I have, and have never had an issue. The Hella fuse is rated for a maximum of 30A, so you want the fuse to fail before that limit is reached.

I've heard there is technically a +/- on the horns, but it shouldn't make a difference. They will work fine either way, without danger of frying them.

Radio Shack will have all the parts you need.

Check out this thread for lots of helpful info. It's the one I used: How To: Install Supertones - NASIOC He has a picture of exactly the fuse holder I used from Radio shack. Make sure you buy the right form factor of fuse.

I also uploaded a quick schematic I made showing my exact setup.

I hope this helps! I find pictures are easier to understand.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no positive/negative on the horns.I just used the same pins on each horn for +/-.I used a 20 amp in line fuse.I put it as close to the battery as possible.Did you heat shrink your connectorss?Also did you solder your positives?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is the harness I made,you can see the 20 amp fuse in yellow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3429.jpg  
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Thanks for the responses guys! That really helps.

I actually just bought the SubiMods harness just out of ease and it was like $20 shipped. I'm going to go over the harness and make sure all the connections are soldered properly. I'm kind of annoyed at this point cause I figured that with buying a harness I wouldn't have to ***** with it, but whatever. Next time I'll just make it myself and do it right.

I'm going to be going over the harness hopefully tonight and adding the fuse in when I receive it.

I don't know why on earth this is becoming so damn difficult lol.

On the SubiMods harness, there are 4 wires going to the horns. One is obviously power the other is ground? So I'm assuming that the SubiMods harness just uses the main ground to ground the horns too. #85 is that for just the relay or the relay and the horns too?

I'm getting to like annoyed at my incapability to just figure this out so simply cause it's just horns. I mean all the work that was ever done on my BMW, I had no problems at all with it and never had to ask for help, but I can't seem to properly install horns on my Subaru I fail.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    this is the diagram I used,kindergarten level,easier for me to understand.I soldered instead of vampire connections.There are separate grounds for the relay & for the horns.85 grounds the relay.The horns are grounded to your car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELLAHornsinstall-1.jpg  
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ok, thank you for the ridiculously easy photo, that helps a lot.

You'd think that if a company is selling a complete wiring harness for something it would actually be complete. I think I am so confused just cause they made the SubiMods harness sound plug and play, hence why I bought it.

I should've just made one to begin with.

Thanks a bunch rage-wrx!

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Okay just a quick update:

I got my new relay and in-line fuse today. Soldered it all up and taped everything to make it look all purdy.

Went and installed it with full success! Everything works perfectly and got my wiring all tucked away and looking good. I am a happy man lol.

Thanks everyone for the halp.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice work! Glad to help.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast