Grinding noise in 02 wrx

This is a discussion on Grinding noise in 02 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A couple of months ago on a drive out to glamis sand dunes in my 02 wrx with 87k miles ...

Grinding noise in 02 wrx

A couple of months ago on a drive out to glamis sand dunes in my 02 wrx with 87k miles I started to hear a very low grinding noise and now its just getting worse.
    It doesn't sound like its just coming from a single wheel as if it were a dry cv, so its getting me thinking that maybe it could be a differential or two?
    Anybody have any input?
    I really dont want to tear into each cv to check if one is dry or ruined and it be something else so figured I would start here.
    Im starting a driving job where I have to drive my car everyday and don't need something blowing up on me.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nobody?

You have to give us more information. Does it only happen while driving, while turning, does the frequency change with speed? Give a better description of the problem. If it is getting worse stop driving. Get under the car and start inspecting. Drain the rear diff and transmission to look for metal chunks. Don't want to be mean but I need more info to help you out.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Doesn't seem to gain much pitch the faster I go but it seems to me at least that it gets a little louder the faster I go. Happens at all times though I.E. "clutch in, clutch out, in gear, neutral" I know I need to get under the car and drain all the fluids and check them but being unemployed for a couple months with no income has made it impossible for me to afford replacement fluids and I have no clue how these subarus work. Im a truck dude, I've built a full offroad racetruck but damn these cars intimidate me cuz im so uneducated with them. I took my dad for a ride in it and he is pretty good with cars and anything mechanical and he said he doesn't think its a wheel bearing, cv, or transmission or differential cuz it doesn't gain much more height in sound as speed gains. Doesn't make any noise while just sitting and running as if it were a pully or something of that sort.
    Im confused as heck and don't wanna tear into it just yet.
    I need a subie garage guy in orange to check it out so I don't have to pay 75 bucks diagnosis fee

Do you think you can get a video recording of your problem. I have been in your shoes so I know how you feel. Being broke sucks.

Your car looks like it is sitting really low do you have enough clearance around your tires? When you were fooling around in the sand dunes what exactly were you doing? Were you spinning your tires like crazy or going up hills?

If you are serious you can figure this out but you will have to do lots of searching to find an issue similar to yours. There is no 75$ fee on the internet so get busy and use Google advanced search.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I can try to get video so u can hear the sound but idk if its loud enough to catch the sound through all the other noises in the car. The car isn't as low anymore, it was just like that when I bought it so now there is plenty of room around the tires. I didn't take the car offroad I only drove out to the dunes to meet with family and ride my dirt bike

I am noticing now that it is for sure gaining pitch as speed increases. Damn this is not gonna be fun

Good now you are getting somewhere. It could be anything that turns. Now start narrowing down the list. The only one who is going to fix this is yourself or a mechanic. Get under the car and check for anything that looks loose or broken. When was the last time the oil was changed on the diff and transmission?

tranny fluid must have been changed right before I bought it cuz it was super clean but not sure on the differential fluid. I've looked under the car to find nothing loose as far as I can see. Im going to take it by garage tuners to give them a listen then its time to get under and do some wrenchin and researching. This post was more to see if this is a common problem with these cars since I don't know jack squat about them and their problems.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think in most cases worn out diffs will present themselves when turning. I know when my center diff started going out it was only noticeable after driving for a long time, then turning sharp like in a gas station parking lot. More than anything it felt like the driveline was binding up, so I don't think that's your problem.

I would also guess that it isn't in the clutch. And I assume it's only making the noise while the car is rolling. So that would narrow out it being anything on the engine side of the clutch.

I would get it up on some jack stands and look over everything closely. If nothing seems out of the ordinary, then I would try turning the wheels by hand and see if you can feel or hear where the noise is coming from.

Just went by garage tuners and he said its the carrier bearings going out causing lash/slop in the gears of the transmission. Gonna cost over 800 to fix and that's if I take the tranny out myself

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hrmm... that's close to a worst case scenario, but I had a feeling.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Ya not excited about that at all. Fml over my head with bills and now this