It's cold and my Heat is not working!!!!

This is a discussion on It's cold and my Heat is not working!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey fellas, I have a 2002 WRX. First of all, it takes really long for the car to start blowing ...

It's cold and my Heat is not working!!!!

Hey fellas, I have a 2002 WRX. First of all, it takes really long for the car to start blowing warm air, even then it's not really warm and then if I'm at a red light I have to idle the car too keep the warm air going, otherwise starts blowing cold air again. I replaced the t'stat and coolant last year. This sucks.... HELP PLEASE!!!!

thanks!!!
    "Take time to ponder which things you are most grateful for and which things are of greatest need in your life"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you tried burping the system?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    How far are you driving? how long do you let it warm up?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Ok, today I took the car to subaru because of the gas smell, which they took care of at no charge. They inspected the car and told me that the radiator was replaced at one point and the hoses to the overflow system were installed wrong and that the radiator cap had brown sludge under the cap and this is possibly the cause of the heat not working also told me that the heater core would have to be flush. Now, I can replace the hoses and radiator, should I just replace the heater core, is it too complicated? or shoud I just have it flush? Subaru wants over $1000 to take care of this including flushing the core.
    THANKS GUYS!!!!
    "Take time to ponder which things you are most grateful for and which things are of greatest need in your life"

I would just do a flush. If that doesn't work, you can always go back and do the other changes. Yes, you'll have to pay for another flush, but I don't see anything in your post that indicates the system needs anything other than the hoses correctly installed and a flush.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If that radiator was the original radiator on the car then it will crack soon. Might as well get a new one now and save yourself a headache later on. IMHO
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Driving to work this morning my 2003 WRX temp gauge went as far above H as it could go. Heater was on, but only cold air was blowing into the car and my windows wouldn't defrost. I pulled over to let the car cool down and it did, but as soon as I began moving again, the temp went immediately back to hot.

Well this is really rare to happen but it happened in my jeep i had. I would drive it about 20 miles and it would never get hot enough to have heat. The thermostat had completely failed the top had blown off and it stayed open all of the time and it would never heat up. After replacing it and flushing the system it worked fine. Idk if you have the same problem but its an idea.

Driving to work this morning my 2003 WRX temp gauge went as far above H as it could go. Heater was on, but only cold air was blowing into the car and my windows wouldn't defrost.
    That sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed and wont let the antifrez flow through the motor, thats probably why the air was still cold cuz it wouldn't flow to the heater

Unhappy It's cold and my heat is not working!!!!

To follow up on this, my radiator has a leak. Does this always mean a new radiator? I went to get my oil changed and they said it's cracked.

Depends on how bad it is. I have patched a radiator before with jb weld and some stop leak. It wasnt a huge leak though.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it