battery lite keeps coming on and going out????

This is a discussion on battery lite keeps coming on and going out???? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; has anyone had this issue or seen this before? battery lite and brake lite both come on.....check voltage, not charging? ...

battery lite keeps coming on and going out????

has anyone had this issue or seen this before?

battery lite and brake lite both come on.....check voltage, not charging? most of the time itll go out within a few minutes of driving and if it dont i unplug alternator and plug it back in and starts charging again!

i bought this used about a month ago and in november it had an alternator put in it...i have a copy of the repairs and have not yet called the shop who did it to see if theyll honor the repair still? i am a mechanic myself and have tested the circuits and all test ok? is it just a crappy alternator or more????

any feedback would be great thanks....
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am also a Subaru tech, 99% of the time I run into this it is the Alternator...did someone put in an aftermarket unit? Did you load test the battery? Alternator output test performed? I would personally even go as far as to put another Subaru reman. alternator in it and see if it works, especially if this unit you have on there is aftermarket... check that both electrical connectors are good and tight also, I have seen people forget the lock washer on some of them before and the nut backs off a tad...

battery is good and new also? did not test output in amps if thats what you mean, but if i unplug the connector and plug back in the alternator starts charging normally?? 13.6 no load and 12.4 to 13.2 w/load....
    when i test the two terminals of the plug i get battery voltage....i suspect it is the aftermarket alternator but just wanted to check on here and see if there was any other issues.
    Mark

Sounds like the alternator to me.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading