Clutch and Reverse gear?

This is a discussion on Clutch and Reverse gear? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey experts, I just got my 11 Base WRX... couple things i notices but not sure why? how come the ...

Clutch and Reverse gear?

hey experts,

I just got my 11 Base WRX... couple things i notices but not sure why? how come the clutch is so high, i test all the new WRX they are like that...and whenever i reverse its seem to be easy to when dead (hope u know what i meant) and i have to restart the car again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    The clutch is high huh? Too high from the floor or the range of deflection or when it starts to engage? Mine wasn't an issue at all coming from my old car. The only real issue is the engagement zone is a lot narrower, but I got used to it. Also I think you're trying to say that it's easy to stall the car in reverse? I found that true as well when I first got mine, but quickly got used to it.

So from that I'll say is just drive it a bit more and you should get used to the clutch. I would also recommend practicing on a empty parking lot if you find yourself over revving the take off. You should be able to engage the clutch below 1,500 RPM's. This will prevent excessive wear on your clutch.
    Last edited by KHP; 01-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I noticed that too that in reverse you have to be very careful not to stall it.This is a PITA when you reverse in the snow and I seem to be burning the clutch each time.But then again with a little practice you should get used to it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I never really have had a problem with reverse, but I have noticed the clutch engages much further from the floor than other manual transmission vehicles I have driven.

Driving this car smoothly is definitely an art, and one I'm really enjoying trying to master.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I'll admit I stalled the STI I test drove twice on the drive. The clutch takes a little getting used to. Now that I'm 400 miles in, I'm fine with it.

Does the regular WRX have the hill start helper? I can't stand the damn thing it holds the car in place while you're trying to move. I've been driving manuals for over 20 years and I don't need a machine to help me start on a damn hill!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Does the regular WRX have the hill start helper? I can't stand the damn thing it holds the car in place while you're trying to move. I've been driving manuals for over 20 years and I don't need a machine to help me start on a damn hill!
    Yes the WRX has hill start assist although I'm not too sure it kicks in all the time.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I really like the hill start feature, especially when driving in hilly downtown Seattle during my work commute. The only time it doesn't kick in is when you have the e-brake on, if I am not mistaken. To respond to the OP, the reverse on my 2011 is just like it was on my old Impreza as well. And I had difficulty back then when I first bought it. It just takes some time to get used to.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium 5-door!