need windshield

This is a discussion on need windshield within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't know why I'm posting on this... kinda feel stupid, honestly, but here it is. I need a new ...

need windshield

I don't know why I'm posting on this... kinda feel stupid, honestly, but here it is. I need a new windshield. A rock or piece of salt got kicked up by a car on my way back from Vermont and put a nice crack that made it's way up to the top of my windshield by the time i got back. My insurance doesn't cover the replacement so I'm on my own to pay for it.

I called around. AAA w/my discount wants $275 w/tax. They have a free replacement for one year warranty and offer some new treatment thing called Crystal Fusion which is supposed to add an additional layer of protection against pitting and keep you glass cleaner during rain & snow. That costs $70. I don't know if that's worth it. AAA is a mobile repair service, which I'm not sure I like. W/the cold weather, I can't imagine the guy doing the installation being as careful as he would be if he was in a heated garage.

I got a quote from a guy w/a shop that does indoor repairs for $260. He said he gets his glass from either PGW (pittsburgh glass), pilkington, and some other company that I believe was US. Sounds like he's been doing it a while. No 1 year replacement warranty.

I got another quote from a different shop that wants $185. But the guy said he has no idea who makes his glass when I called him up as he just gets it from a distributor. Honestly, he sounded like a bit of a d*ck. But he's really affordable.

What would raptor jesus do? no, seriously, thoughts on this?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you get the chance call up Grand Sport Auto, they do on site repairs and there prices arent bad. Thats who we recommend at work. Personally, I had them do a windshield in my Saturn years back and everything was great with the exception of them leaving my car absolutely filthy with broken glass...not to mention they tore off my SI/EM stickers instead of cutting out part of the windshield like they should have. Good thing I have my SI/ EM license's haha...Sorry to hear about you luck though man... Just keep in mind..It can always be worse...

I'll give em a call. ... although I don't really like the idea of having shattered glass on my dash to clean up. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm not too keen on spending extra money on it, but I am relatively interested in finding out if that coating is worth it.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    and offer some new treatment thing called Crystal Fusion which is supposed to add an additional layer of protection against pitting and keep you glass cleaner during rain & snow. That costs $70. I don't know if that's worth it.
    Do some research on this ... smells like to me.

I've had good luck with Safelite, although this time of year I'd go to a shop that can do the replacement in a nice warm garage ... for a better seal.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yea, I know what you mean. I'm going to look into it. There's some other processes called Diamond fusion or something along those lines that's similar.

Safelite's expensive compared to the other installers. I agree that having it done somewhere w/a nice warm garage is the way to go. I could possibly pull my car into the shop at work if I had AAA do it.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Do some research on this ... smells like to me.
    I did some research... ie, google + youtube videos. From other posts on other forums, there are a few people who have said that it's very good, some who say it wears off after ~6 months and is snake oil, and the vast majority of other people who haven't had it done but claim it's just marketing hype and BS. There's another product that sounds similar called diamon-fusion (not diamond) that is more popular and offered as a service for people buying their cars from dealerships. I haven't been able to find a place that installs it by simply searching the internet. There's a neat video of a windshield being shot up with a bb gun. And either the video's been shopped, or the product does a legit job of protecting against bb rounds. Anywho, I may or may not call AAA to see if I can have it done after I get my windshield replaced.

I also came across a product called proline windshield protection skin that is like one of those clear bras for your windshield. And there seem to be many similar products out there... Quick searching reveals it's good for 1 - 2 years before it's messed up and needs to be removed. But some have claimed it's awesome for track day'd cars, which is something I plan to do in the future. I'm not sure on price or even legality in PA though....

If you get the chance call up Grand Sport Auto
    Called em up. They want $270-ish and use PGW or PPG glass. Problem is, they're in West Chester... I trust Evoeatr's recommendation, but not only is that way out of the way, but if I had an issue w/the installation, I'd have to go back. The one place I called is real local and the guy I talked to sounded like he's been doing it for Years. It's kinda ridiculous how I'm using one conversation to dictate where I go to have work done... But at this point, I'm 90% likely to go there.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.