No Vacuum, any ideas?

This is a discussion on No Vacuum, any ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys I recently put a boost gauge into my 02 wrx as it seemed to have turbo lag. The ...

No Vacuum, any ideas?

Hi guys I recently put a boost gauge into my 02 wrx as it seemed to have turbo lag. The car is box standard, recently bought it from a friend. It has 205000k's on it
    1st thing i noticed is there is no vacuum, iI had a look around ofr loose hoses etc and couldn't see anything.
    I took it for a drive and boost was very shaky up to 4psi and then would become smooth up to 7psi but that was my maximun. After using the forum previous posts I read about the restrictor pill and when I checked it doesn't have it. Ordered it from dealer today and will get it in 2 days time. In the mean time I was hope you guys might know common areas for vacuum leaks or will the restrictor pill affect the vacuum aswell as the boost?
    Stevie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As long as the system is sealed and you are at idle than you should still have a steady vacuum gauge reading of 17-21. Does the vehicle idle rough? Is the CEL on? If I were you I would grab a can of 2+2 gum cutter and with the engine running spray it around all vacuum lines and intake gaskets. If you do have a vacuum leak it should become apparent with this fore the engine idle will fluctuate. Is this a manual trans car? Are you sure the clutch isnt slipping? The restrictor pill only limits boost pressure.

Thanks for the reply. I fitted the restrictor pill and still have the same problem. I checked over the intake system and found the intake pipe on the turbo loose. When I tightened it up the pipe split, must have already been cut. I'm currently tracing a replacement intake pipe. Not sure if I should get a second hand one or fit a silicone one, what do you think?
    Started to remove the pipe last night and can't believe how tight a squeeze it is, think i'll have to remove the whole intake manifold to get it out Very time consuming.
    Think I might spend the whole wkend on it and fit a new timing belt to it, hope thats not too bad a job.
    Oh and nearly forgot cel only comes on when near redline. Had it checked and dealer said it was camshaft positon sensor. Only comes on at high revs so should be ok, prob just dodgy sensor

Yes, according to the FSM and plus the dozens of intakes I have had off of these, there is no easy way to remove the turbo inlet pipe without removing the intake manifold. I would most definitely get a new one, any used one you find will most likely already be a tad squishy from oil, and heat. You can always try cleaning the cam sensor and the crank sensor ( with compressed air only ) and see if that helps, also if you are doing the timing belt or even if your not you can blow off the reluctor on the back of the cam sprocket with compressed air, sometimes those sensors get dirty. As far as a cam sensor I would most def. source a used one, fore it is pretty rare they go bad on these cars, I know around here I could have one for under prob. $5. If the sensor is suspected bad I would most likely replace that before digging into anything else...

+1 get a new pipe for sure.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for the help, got the intake out and feck me that was a long job just for a simple hose. Bought a new one from the dealer for $190 Australian, get it on monday. I will definatly clean those sensors you mentioned, is contact cleaner ok to use? I usually use it on most sensors I clean. Don't have compressed air at home.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thats expensive! I just got my turbo inlet replaced with a oem one as well. Definitely better than the silicone ones!
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Yeah I know, Australia is a very expensive country. Couldn't find any origonal pipes on net so had to bite the bullet and just pay to $

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, We could have found one, but shipping to the AU would be expensive too.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'll post monday after I've fitted the pipe and let you know how it goes. Have a good wkend

You could prob use that, Just use is sparingly, you could prob just pull both sensors out and wipe them off with a rag, if anything they should only be a tad dusty/oily...

where was the boost/vac gauge tapped into? generally if u tap into the intake system pre throttle body no vacuum be read
    2002 plat. silver wrx

I've got it plumbed into the wastegate line. The line from the wastegate control solenoid to the T peice that splits to the wastegate and the turbo outlet. Please don't say this is my problem! I'll feel a complete idiot!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg1984
    I've got it plumbed into the wastegate line. The line from the wastegate control solenoid to the T peice that splits to the wastegate and the turbo outlet. Please don't say this is my problem! I'll feel a complete idiot!!
    Your gauge should be tapped into the vacuum line off the bypass valve.

2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thank you very much for the picture. I will buy some fittings and put in the correct spot. I'll let you know what the gauge reads after that.