2011 Stock WRX Acceleration issues.

This is a discussion on 2011 Stock WRX Acceleration issues. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a standard WRX new from the dealership. After the initial break in period where I kept the ...

2011 Stock WRX Acceleration issues.

I recently bought a standard WRX new from the dealership. After the initial break in period where I kept the revs below 4k for the most part I've started to open up the engine. It certainly seems fast but in brisk acceleration it seems to hesitate slightly above 4K rpm especially in second gear. I'm wondering if this is an issue with me driving the car incorrectly or if there is something wrong with the engine IE the Turbo or fuel injection. When I first drove the car off the lot there was a fairly strong smell of hot rubber/plastic coming from the engine compartment. I called the dealership and they said it was just some coating on the exhaust heating up and that it was normal. The car has about 1500 miles now and it still smells a little like hot rubber or plastic when I drive it quickly. There have been no check engine lights or odd sounds. I also just bought a new K&N high performance air intake. Should I take it to the dealership before putting on the aftermarket intake? Is the issue just in my head and I just need to floor the gas in order to experience the 4.7 second zero to 60 or is there something possibly wrong with the car?
    Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a warranty, use it! Otherwise I'd start checking for any hoses that could be touching the engine and melting perhaps?
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gshum3k View Post
    I recently bought a standard WRX new from the dealership. After the initial break in period where I kept the revs below 4k for the most part I've started to open up the engine. It certainly seems fast but in brisk acceleration it seems to hesitate slightly above 4K rpm especially in second gear. I'm wondering if this is an issue with me driving the car incorrectly or if there is something wrong with the engine IE the Turbo or fuel injection. When I first drove the car off the lot there was a fairly strong smell of hot rubber/plastic coming from the engine compartment. I called the dealership and they said it was just some coating on the exhaust heating up and that it was normal. The car has about 1500 miles now and it still smells a little like hot rubber or plastic when I drive it quickly. There have been no check engine lights or odd sounds. I also just bought a new K&N high performance air intake. Should I take it to the dealership before putting on the aftermarket intake? Is the issue just in my head and I just need to floor the gas in order to experience the 4.7 second zero to 60 or is there something possibly wrong with the car?
    Thanks guys
    I bet it's your butt dyno... what did you drive before the rex? No seriously, count to 5 seconds in your head right now... is it longer than you expected? and remember that that "4.7 second" garbage is with a tranny-shattering 6000K launch. You're looking at right around 6 seconds 5-60 street start. Sorry, but there will be no way to further diagnose your issue without more information. Preferably some sort of data logging.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by gshum3k View Post
    Thanks guys

Its under warranty! go to your dealer
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

Your most likely smelling cosmoline, a chemical they spray on the under body of the Impreza's fore they are made overseas. It helps prevent corrosion and such from sea salt in transport to the states... As far as there being a problem with the vehicle. 99% of the time with these newer Subies the CEL will illuminate at the first hint of pretty much any problem. However if you do feel something is array def. bring it back to the dealer while you still have the warranty. Also, Most definitely bring in the vehicle before you do any modifications to it whatsoever...

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you are just experiencing some turbo lag.I have the same smell issue with my WRX.Especially if you burn the clutch,the smell is quite prominent. If you launch the car the smell is coming from the turbo.I'm around 1500 miles too.The dealer said it is perfectly alrite and should go away after a while.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

while i dont have a 2011 (i have a 2010) i know exactly what youre experiencing. my car always smelled like burnt everything after i drove it spriritedly. i think its just all the hoses and belts getting to hot temps and burning off any residues from glues and what not. mine has gone away now that my car has 11k miles.

as far as the acceleration is concerned, i do agree the car feels somewhat peaky, and ive gotten to know the car well enough that i can feel the turbo pulling off boost as it gets close to the redline. one thing many other members have talked about is the stage 1 tune from cobb or perrin or some other tuners via the accessport fixes all of the peaky feellings of the stock tune. i havent bought an AP yet, and i dont know if i ever will, but that may be something for you to think about. what you are feeling while accelerating sounds normal, and as long as the car runs well and no check engine light is on, you should be fine.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    I experienced the same with my '11 at first, but it seems to be diminishing everyday. I have just above 3k on the car right now, but I also drove it spiritedly off the lot. The whole "break-in" issue has experinced a lot of debate. Some say baby it; some say drive it the way you will from the day you get it. I picked the more fun of the two options. :-)

I also just bought cobb's accessport and installed stage 1. It makes a HUGE difference, particularly with the feel (pull, timing, and consistency) of the turbo through each gear.

check to make sure the intake is tight. I had mine at the dealer for some reapirs and they did not tighten the air intake and when i got it back theh car was feeling sluggish over 4k RPMs.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smason View Post
    check to make sure the intake is tight. I had mine at the dealer for some reapirs and they did not tighten the air intake and when i got it back theh car was feeling sluggish over 4k RPMs.
    I've also experienced sluggishness as a result of the intake not being tight, although not on a Subie.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."