first oil change, turrible
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on first oil change, turrible within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; usually on a unfamiliar car it takes me alittle bit of time to do an oil change. didnt work out ...

first oil change, turrible

usually on a unfamiliar car it takes me alittle bit of time to do an oil change.

didnt work out so well, it was my first oil change 1500 miles.

couldnt get my car up the ramps so i jacked it up and slipped the ramps under

drain plug easy to find didnt have to take off skid plate

oil plug comes out, lands perfectly on the pan, but comes out like taco bell diarrhea and splashes all over the floor.

now i spend a good 30 minutes looking for the oil filter

decide to open one of those flaps on the skid plate, one opens, no filter
    second one doesnt want to open

takes me 30 min to remove skid plate, a cordless drill wouldnt even turn the screws, i had to get a corded screw torque gun, had to find an apex and run a cord.

then i have trouble with the plastic tabs, but figure them out

i drop the skid plate, mind you im eating road salt and getting it in my eye.

spot the filter, cant get a screw driver up there to stab, cant get it off by hand.

hop in the work truck to buy a filter wrench, find a filter in the store to make sure it fits. i come back and its too small, apparently subaru brand filters are slightly bigger.

i say **** it, put on the skidplate, pour in some oil, clean up the mess i made on the floor, put away all my tools and drove back to the store to return the wrench.

so it took my 3 hours and i didnt even get the filter off, hopefully im fine until my next oil change.

what size wrench do i need?
    does the flap allow access to filter?
    i couldnt even open the tab even when i pulled the plate off the car, i even broke part of it with a screw driver.

now that i know where everything is, if i ever get this filter off, it should only take me a half hour next time.

it was a long night, thanks for reading my long story

btw, does the oil always come out like a tipped over 5 gallon bucket? im definitely installing a fumota valve, is the damn filter wasnt in a bad spot this could take me 5 minutes to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always take off my plastic splash guard when I change my oil. It just makes it a lot easier. I have never had a problem taking off the oil filter...I always just hand tighten it plus I get the the K&N Filters that have the nut on the end of them just in case it somehow gets on there to tight for me to take off. I forget what the Part Number is though...I think its the HP-1008...I have been using those filters for the past 2 years and I haven't had a single problem.

I usually leave the oil cap and oil dip stick in when I drain my oil....that way it doesn't come rushing out so fast....did you by chance have both of those removed?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Sorry to hear it was such a pain. Do you mind taking a pic of where the filter is at? I was thinking about doing my oil this weekend.

if you take the skid plate off you cant miss it, its under the engine, i was expecting it to maybe be on the side. i would take a picture but theres not way im crawling under that car again until i need to change the oil again.

i usually crack open the cap and stick to let it flow more on my old TDI, but on my wrx today they were both closed. im not sure if it was just because the oil was so hot. it was ridiculous.

i was hoping someone can tell me the wrench size for the oem filter.

by the way while i was under there i sprayed some simple green on the front brake calipers and up in the suspension and other critical areas that rust like hell. this winter salt is out of control.

KHP
    I had to go to a local car part store and buy a fully adjustable oil filter remover(wrench type, not scissor type). After that it was a breeze to take the factory black Japanese oil filter off. Unfortunately they don't sell those filters anymore . The OEM blue filters fit the black plastic Wix filter wrench I had so it was also easy to put on I believe it said on the filter to tighten to about 3/4th of a turn.

On the 2011's you had to remove two bolts up at front and two clips behind the wheels. With those off the front of the skid plate just drops off. Be careful with the rear tabs they hook up in an awkward manner. I got mine to pop off but then they were clipped to some more rear under shielding (At least the undercarriage is protected from the elements). I couldn't get the back hook to catch(I just had the car on the ground not jacked up). So I bolted it backup and and put the clips back behind the front wheels. Drove to my friends house the next day and borrowed his ramps and it was a pain to get the hook back up.

I didn't have a problem changing mine. The skid plate is kind of a pain but not hard to get off. I used my snap on electric impact to remove the bolts with ease. I used the cup style filter wrench with a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet that worked great. Put the new filter on hand tight so no tools will be needed in the future. Due to the 20mm drain bolt hole I too left the oil cap and dipstick in when draining the oil and held the drain pan up close the the hole.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Fumoto valve will make DIY oil changes much easier/cleaner; well worth the cost. I always remove the plastic tray before doing an oil change. I don't use the plastic clips (just bolts), so it's only a minute or two task. Hand-tightening the filter should be fine, but if you have a wrench handy, a final tighten attempt isn't a bad idea.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Fumoto valve will make DIY oil changes much easier/cleaner; well worth the cost. I always remove the plastic tray before doing an oil change. I don't use the plastic clips (just bolts), so it's only a minute or two task. Hand-tightening the filter should be fine, but if you have a wrench handy, a final tighten attempt isn't a bad idea.
    That's pretty cool never seen one before I may put one on for my next oil change. Do you happen to know if I need the 20mm-1.5 or 16mm-1.5 for the 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I didn't have a problem changing mine. The skid plate is kind of a pain but not hard to get off. I used my snap on electric impact to remove the bolts with ease. I used the cup style filter wrench with a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet that worked great. Put the new filter on hand tight so no tools will be needed in the future. Due to the 20mm drain bolt hole I too left the oil cap and dipstick in when draining the oil and held the drain pan up close the the hole.
    what size of the cup filter wrench?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP
    That's pretty cool never seen one before I may put one on for my next oil change. Do you happen to know if I need the 20mm-1.5 or 16mm-1.5 for the 2011?
    Sorry, I don't; I haven't had a chance to tinker with any '11s. My guess would be that it's the same as previous MYs (F-105), but your dealership could tell you for sure if the P/N for the drain plug is the same.

UNYSOC

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pardon my ignorance, but all Subaru's have this skid plate? If so, pretty nice... like that.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
    Pardon my ignorance, but all Subaru's have this skid plate? If so, pretty nice... like that.
    I wouldn't call it a skidplate; it's plastic...

UNYSOC

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a skidplate; it's plastic...
    Oh ok, gotcha... thanks for the clarification :]
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    what size of the cup filter wrench?
    That, I am unsure of. I will have to measure the inside diameter of it. Unless someone can mic the oem filter with a digital micrometer. I know that same filter socket/wrench did not fit the Purolator PL14612 that I used.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

check out my thread about my first oil change...

first oil change complete...reactions & opinions

i went through the same things you did. however, i was able to get my oil filter off by destroying it with a screwdriver and cutting the hell out of my hand in the process. but, once you get it off for the first time and hand tighten the next one, they come off super easy.

good luck, and make sure you get that engine undercover off before you do anything next time!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast