first oil change, turrible - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on first oil change, turrible within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Fred Beans Subaru is pretty close to you. You might want to consider that for next time....

Fred Beans Subaru is pretty close to you. You might want to consider that for next time.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Another hint....

I only use K&N Oil filters... they have a 1/2 inch nut on the top of them. They are so easy to take off, it's not even funny.

If you don't want to shell out the $$ for the K&N... I'd purchase an oil filter end cap with a nut on it. Cheap and easy to remove the oil filter:

Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

^The problem is that the oil filter end cap they sell at auto part stores doesn't fit the factory subaru filter (which is waaaaay overtightened).

Big pliers solved my problem...and I have a wrench that fits my aftermarket filter for future changes. Also, hand tightening (1 turn past contact) goes a long way in reducing oil change headaches.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely. I only hand tighten. No reason to use a wrench to tighten. Also, make sure the rubber gasket is in the oil filter, and that you lube the rubber gasket with the new oil before putting it back on. That helps a lot to reduce headaches later down the line.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like bugeyes have it easy. I changed the oil on mine for the first time since I've owned it, and everything is located together within easy reach just aft of the "skid plate".

I have ramps, but didnt bother with them. It was the easiest oil change I've ever done.

Shucks (O Reilly, whatever) has a sale until Jan. 25 on 5 quarts Valvoline full synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter for $28! I was pleased.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

yes i tried the purolator in the store on the wrench i bought, took it to the garage and nope, didnt fit the stock one, couldnt even manage to get a screw driver up there to stab the filter. thought it would be best to just add oil and drive home instead of having a holey filter that still wont come off.

well if anyone can get me the size for the stock filter that would be sweet

yes autozone has the same deal with a fram filter for 25, this was semi synthentic, full synth next change.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Fred Beans Subaru is pretty close to you. You might want to consider that for next time.
    nope, i wouldnt ever consider it, not even in windy 10 degree weather. now that i know the way around the car alittle, shouldnt take so long, except getting the damn filter off for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Another hint....

I only use K&N Oil filters... they have a 1/2 inch nut on the top of them. They are so easy to take off, it's not even funny.

If you don't want to shell out the $$ for the K&N... I'd purchase an oil filter end cap with a nut on it. Cheap and easy to remove the oil filter:

yes, i bought the cup wrench, but like i said i dont know what size fits stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    yes autozone has the same deal with a fram filter for 25, this was semi synthentic, full synth next change.

Those Fram filters are garbage. I would stay away from them. There's lots of info about the inferior components they use.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    The first change has involved swearing at an overtight filter for our last two new cars.

Fumoto makes a good product IMO. The oil changes in my Honda and my Subaru no longer require any tools at all. The filter and the drain can both be done by hand. Nice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Those Fram filters are garbage. I would stay away from them. There's lots of info about the inferior components they use.
    +1. an oem subaru filter is about $8 with taxes and the dealer parts dept i go to usually will throw in the crush washer on the house, how can you beat that!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    so i hear, for the past 6 years, but i havent once ever heard a first account story or 2nd hand story

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx
    +1. an oem subaru filter is about $8 with taxes and the dealer parts dept i go to usually will throw in the crush washer on the house, how can you beat that!
    I get a 6-pack for ~$25; see if they'll discount a larger quantity for you...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The blue Subaru filters are made by Fram.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I generally just use the Purolator Pure One filters. Adjustable oil filter wrench FTW.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast