weird clunk in the snow
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird clunk in the snow within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; today i was messing around in the snow, nothing crazy, first thing my rotor shield must of bent because it ...

weird clunk in the snow

today i was messing around in the snow, nothing crazy, first thing my rotor shield must of bent because it was grinding on the rotor, bent that back it was fine, had no idea how it bent.

hour later i was testing how it handled in the snow (new to awd) and it seemed the when the wheels were breaking traction the front right rotor was making a nasty clunking sound, pretty much the same sound that your anti lock breaks would make but worse. it was the same side where the rotor shield problem was.

i took it out for a run and it didnt make any sounds, only if i spun the tires or went sideways alittle bit.

its fine on the highway, im just alittle concerned though, this was with traction control off.

around 26 to 28 seconds the sound is really bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uPExVE898A

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, but the sound in that video isn't good enough to diagnose anything.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

it feels and sounds like when your anti lock brakes kick on, except its alot louder and coming from one wheel. at times it sounds like grinding transmission gears, but coming from that wheel. i have a feeling it might be normal, or something to doing with the differential. i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. the car has 1400 miles.

ask your dealer and bring it in. With that few miles on it, its best just to let them do a check up on it and make sure its right. I was going to mention traction control because it does sound like that.. but you had it turned off. Dunno, mine doesn't do that with tc turned off.. it just happily slides around.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.