In the market/ Looked at a 2003 WRX

This is a discussion on In the market/ Looked at a 2003 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I am in the market for a WRX and went to look at one tonight. The vehicle is ...

In the market/ Looked at a 2003 WRX

Hello all, I am in the market for a WRX and went to look at one tonight. The vehicle is a 2003 with around 75k on the car. I am new to the car and there are a few things I noticed when test driving it so I thought I would try to get some feedback from experienced WRX owners/ drivers.
    The first issue off the bat was when I accelerated from first there was a slight gurgling/ bubbling sound. It also made that same noise when accelerating in reverse. But once getting above 4-6 mph the noise either stopped or was muffled by engine noise.
    The second issue is when approaching speeds of around 45 mph there was a high pitch grinding/ almost whining sound. It is definitely relative to speed because when I coasted in neutral at around 45-50 mph, the sound continued. And the sound became progressively louder to a certain point then plateaued at 45-50 mph.
    If you guys could help me diagnose these observations and advise me on potential costs/ how much work to fix these possible issues that would be great. I have mechanical experience fixing cars and have done some major work to previous vehicles but I just wanted the advice of wrx owners having never driven or been in one before.
    Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

The gurgling noise may be due to the owner doing an intake silencer delete, or may be normal for an H-4 engine. Hard to say.

The other noise is tied to speed not RPM per your posts so it must be something outboard of the engine/tranny. I'd agree it may be a bad wheel bearing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading