Struggling to Start ???? HELP, PLZ.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Struggling to Start ???? HELP, PLZ. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well this is not the first time, but I just thought I fixed the issue before so ignored it. Sometimes ...

Struggling to Start ???? HELP, PLZ.

Well this is not the first time, but I just thought I fixed the issue before so ignored it.

Sometimes after turning the engine off and then a few minutes later back on the car tends to struggle to stay on but does not turn off (RPM drop really low then back to normal (700rpm -warm)). In addition the car begins to smoke a little somewhere around the turbo. All in all I would like to know what exactly is this and how to fix it. I've tried researching this but had no luck finding anything.
    _
    INFO:

04' Subaru WRX
    Stock 145k miles.
    No codes just have to finish drive cycle.
    _

Thank you all in advance.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably the IAC valve needs to be cleaned or possibly replaced.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Are you sure?? cause the smoke was coming from a different location. To make it more clear I tried to look for a picture so I can better explain the issue.

There was not a immense amount of smoke but to a certain point were an observer can notice it. Smoke was coming from. .....

THanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

Starting has three factors: fuel, spark, and air.

If your car is having issues just starting and keeping idle, one of these is messed up. I wonder if you just have a bad relay;
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    Are you sure?? cause the smoke was coming from a different location. To make it more clear I tried to look for a picture so I can better explain the issue.

There was not a immense amount of smoke but to a certain point were an observer can notice it. Smoke was coming from. .....

THanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.
    Smoke coming from that area would probably be a post turbo leak (dp)and have nothing to do with how the car idles. So if you cannot 100% tell us where the "smoke" is coming from then there is little to do from the interweb with out better details. For all I know that "smoke" is just oil or some other contaminant burning off your exhaust. Also "this area" doesn't help as much as saying "wastegate arm" or "downpipe".
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok, so today before heading out I decided to take a picture of where I believe the smoke is coming from, hopefully it good enough to understand better. BTW I would have like to ask someone around me about this issue, but unfortunately I'm currently the only subaru WRX owner where I live.

Well here is the pic.

And again thanks for the help everyone, gladly appreciate it.

Sorry, but you're pointing to three different things that aren't really related, so it's hard to say what might be wrong. The wastegate isn't going to have smoke come from it. There could be a leak between the turbo and downpipe, but that's unlikely unless it's been removed before. But the heatshield is missing so maybe there was some work done there before.

The other two lines are coolant (I'm doubting myself a little whether both are though, can't remember and can't look at my old car for reference since all that stuff has already been removed!). Maybe you have a coolant leak that's dripping onto the turbo? That shouldn't cause any issues with restarting it though.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

sorry this took so long, I took a better picture after closely looking at where did it come from. Hopefully this helps.

Seriously guys thanks for everything, hopefully I'll gain enough knowledge/experience to be as good as you guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.