2006 WRX Low Beam Headlight Replacement
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX Low Beam Headlight Replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; One of my low beam headlights just went out on my 2006 WRX so I got some new ones to ...

2006 WRX Low Beam Headlight Replacement

One of my low beam headlights just went out on my 2006 WRX so I got some new ones to replace them. I open up the car manual and it says to just take them to the nearest Subaru dealer cause I might get electrocuted if I try to do it myself.

I'm usually pretty handy although I don't have a ton of experience mechanically or in this case I guess electronically. If I can follow a set of instructions with no problem can I just do it myself. And if so is there a guide out there on how to do it so I won't electrocute myself?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How are you going to get electrocuted if the lights are off? The WRX has halogen lamps not H.ID.'s like the STI. That warning is for the STI. The owners manual does not explain how to change the bulb? Reading comprehension is important in order to follow directions.... (j/k) Also change them in pairs. Don't just do one side and don't buy any of the b/s "bright white" bulbs. Something like Phillips Xtreme Power or Osram Night Breakers will make a noticeable difference. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-07-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

just take the dust cap off, get a small phillips head screwdriver and take out the screw right under the dust cap. dont lose it. pinch the bracket together and take it out. then you can remove and unplug the light. simple process.

tip remember which way the bracket was so it will be a lot easier to put back in lol.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

I Support ClubWRX
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Dan knows bulbs ... at least which is best to use for a given car.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

this is a pretty bad ass website not just for headlamps, but all bulbs interior and exterior of your vehicle. it will give the you alphanumerical code for the headlamp bulbs that you need for replacements. obviously you dont have to use sylvania but at least you know the #.

OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

if you are afraid of electrocuting yourself, just make sure you just unhook the negative terminal from the battery (the black one)
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Something like Phillips Xtreme Power or Osram Night Breakers will make a noticeable difference. Good luck!!
    +1

Another option is GE Night Hawk Platinums
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post

if you are afraid of electrocuting yourself, just make sure you just unhook the negative terminal from the battery (the black one)
    It has to do with the HID STI headlights. The ballasts have capacitors in them. Capacitors store energy......like a battery.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    +1

Another option is GE Night Hawk Platinums
    Yup! Used them on my wife's car. Another great place to get bulbs is www.candlepower.com
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for all of the advice. I originally read WRX-STI as meaning both WRX and STI. Actual changing of the bulbs was cake walk. Although you didn't mention that to replace the leftside bulb you have to remove the battery from the car. By then I had already done the right side so I figured **** it and managed to get it out without blowing anything up.

Everything worked out no problem and now I got two working lights and much brighter lights at that.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.