I've got a shimmy

This is a discussion on I've got a shimmy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Took my rex in for it's 18K service 2 weeks ago, put on about 1000km driving out to the mountains ...

I've got a shimmy

Took my rex in for it's 18K service 2 weeks ago, put on about 1000km driving out to the mountains and back where it got completely filthy with grime and road salt, washed it yesterday, and this morning going to work I noticed I have a shimmy/shake when driving over 60km/hr....could it be something as simple as mud lodged in the wheel? Or other possible causes?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    bent wheel?
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    bent wheel?
    I don't recall hitting anything of significance in the last day or so...?

I'll bet my money that you have snow/ice/mud packed into one of the wheels. Do you have any way to get the car into a heated area? Or give them a good squirt with a heated pressure washer?

When I lived in NY State and worked at one of the local dub dealers we used to see quite a few vw's and bimmers come in with "vibration" issues. Leave the car in the shop for a hour and all the crud would melt/slide off the insides of the wheels. Test drive and they'd be fine. Happy customer and a hour labor paid for watching Ice melt
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I'll bet my money that you have snow/ice/mud packed into one of the wheels. Do you have any way to get the car into a heated area? Or give them a good squirt with a heated pressure washer?

When I lived in NY State and worked at one of the local dub dealers we used to see quite a few vw's and bimmers come in with "vibration" issues. Leave the car in the shop for a hour and all the crud would melt/slide off the insides of the wheels. Test drive and they'd be fine. Happy customer and a hour labor paid for watching Ice melt
    Cool, thanks. We have a heated parking garage at our office...I'm not important enough to park there year around, but maybe I'll sneak it down for a couple hours and then get to a car wash

Its pretty common in places that get deep snow. It used to happen to me a lot with my old jeep after getting into deeper mud or snow while off road. It only takes a few ounces to throw a wheel off balance.. get both your front wheels off a bit and poof.. shimmy.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Where do you feel the shake? In the steering wheel? Or the car in general?

If in the steering wheel, then front wheels out of balance. If in the whole car, then rear wheels more likely.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I can feel it a bit through the steering wheeling, but can also feel the vibration pretty good through the seat (ie the whole car). I didn't get it into a heated garage yesterday, but I did get it to a car wash. The shimmy was still there this morning going to work, but I didn't feel it till I exceeded 80 km/h rather than 60 km/h like the previous day. If it continues the next day or two it's probably worth a trip to the dealership?

if its just the wheels out of balance you may be better off taking it to a regular wheel/tire place. the dealership is going to charge you mechanical labor rates for whatever they do, where as a wheel/tire place probably has a flat rate for balancing wheels/tires.

i am happy i dont live in the snow!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    if its just the wheels out of balance you may be better off taking it to a regular wheel/tire place. the dealership is going to charge you mechanical labor rates for whatever they do, where as a wheel/tire place probably has a flat rate for balancing wheels/tires.

i am happy i dont live in the snow!
    they shouldn't.. its under warranty.. just play dumb about the shimmy. If there's still stuff stuck inside the wheels they'll probably just let it melt off in the shop and roll it back out.

I'd take it in.. if it needs work they're going to charge you for they'll come out and let you know before hand. At that point you can make the decision to have them do any work that might be necessary or take it elsewhere.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!