'02/'03 WRX ABS Fix
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '02/'03 WRX ABS Fix within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This was posted on our local forum this morning by our dealerships Parts Manager... Not sure how many of you ...

I Support ClubWRX

'02/'03 WRX ABS Fix

This was posted on our local forum this morning by our dealerships Parts Manager...

Not sure how many of you may have known there is a no cost fix to the ABS concerns for the 02-03 wrx with a 5 speed manual transmission.

The problem is identified when you press on the brakes on uneven pavement, rumble strips at toll plazas, etc., the ABS seems to delay the braking system, so Subaru has a new ABS ECU to take care of this problem.

tech bulletin # 06-35-05R DATED 8/19/05

There is a vin range this applies to.
    02 WRX SEDAN JFIGD296*2G500001 - 531625
    02 WRX WAGON JFIGG296*2G800001 - 837226
    03 WRX SEDAN JFIGD296*3G500001 - 513811
    03 WRX WAGON JFIGG296*3G800001 - 814065

This is not a recall, just a fix for a concern from owners. This is a one time free fix to any car in that vin range. And was first started in 2005, so most of the cars have been already fixed, but I do know there are a few new owners of these vehicles on the site and I want to make sure you know that we can fix this at no charge to you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    This was posted on our local forum this morning by our dealerships Parts Manager...
    Would having a modified downpipe pose much of a problem?

I Support ClubWRX

'02/'03 WRX ABS Fix

Years ago they sent a letter in which they admitted no fault in shipping a car with an ABS fault, but offered to fix the ABS fault they built into the car if the owner realised it was an issue (read: if anyone at any time had actually driven the car).

I had the part replaced and it made a difference. Very worth it for me.

At ten years out it is unlikely they see many cars with all authentic parts any more. Whether I had a downpipe or not I'd ask for the ABS fix.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

wow glad i saw this thread. was just complaining about my ABS. has almost caused me to slide out in traffic before from just braking with pebbles on the road. was going to pull the fuse and have no ABS but think when i take it to the dealer for the control arm recall ill get the ABS fixed and see how it works

Don't forget that the fixed abs on these cars is still fairly bad - it won't keep you from braking after hitting a pothole anymore, but a little loose gravel/snow/sand and it's like you're not even braking. I pull the fuse for snow on the road.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

so called subaru dealer about control arm recall i had and asked about this because i notice the symptoms of the faulty ABS and she said she has never heard of it and it is not on the list of recalls for my Vin. Taking it ion tommorow for control arm recall and will talk to someone about the ABS. if anyone has any info on the part or fix please link. ill try to find something on google.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've tried to get this fixed for years. No dealership has been willing to do this.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I've tried to get this fixed for years. No dealership has been willing to do this.
    hmm, so is that recall not real then..? why wont they fix it if it is a real recall?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    hmm, so is that recall not real then..? why wont they fix it if it is a real recall?
    I've heard the same thing you've been told over-and-over again... "We don't have any record of this recall"

It's BS
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I've heard the same thing you've been told over-and-over again... "We don't have any record of this recall"

It's BS

merrrr.. good to know. will ask them about it anyhow, get a BS response, pull the fuse then be happy i guess.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.