Just bought 2002 wrx with CELS please help!!!

This is a discussion on Just bought 2002 wrx with CELS please help!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone Im very new to the subie world and to this site so if this is in the wrong ...

Just bought 2002 wrx with CELS please help!!!

Hello everyone Im very new to the subie world and to this site so if this is in the wrong spot please moderators do as you will to move this thread to the correct spot, thank you.

I just bought a 2002 wrx with some check engine lights that Im going to attempt to get rid of but I need your guys help as i am new to all of this. It has a full hks turbo back(no cats), HKS BOV, perrin intake, manual boost controller which the previous owner said it was set to 16psi, act flywheel, blitz turbo timer, and tein stech springs.

The cels im getting are, p0301 ect..(all 4 misfire codes), p0136, p0245, and p0546.

The car starts and idles great, never dies, drives great but i feel it hesitate a bit when gaining boost, like as if its reaching its rev limit as the turbo spools up, and I can hear it back fire, and ill see the turbo timer light up red. I really just baby this thing around because it drives really good just hesitates a bit in higher rpms, The previous owner said its all from the exhaust? that it needs an accessport.

Any help would be much appreciated, I thank you guys much in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Misfires: Any number of things, possibly lightened flywheel. Check ignition stuff and check the flywheel model to see if others have had misfires with it.

P0136 and P0245: Could be due to downpipe. If present, the sensor could be faulty. The latter could be a boost issue too though - are you creeping?

P0546: EGT sensor problem in the up pipe. If the correct pipe is fitted, check the connections. If the pipe has been replaced, use a M12 bolt to plug the hole and use a 2.2 kΩ resistor in the harness to prevent another CEL.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Misfires: Any number of things, possibly lightened flywheel. Check ignition stuff and check the flywheel model to see if others have had misfires with it.

P0136 and P0245: Could be due to downpipe. If present, the sensor could be faulty. The latter could be a boost issue too though - are you creeping?

P0546: EGT sensor problem in the up pipe. If the correct pipe is fitted, check the connections. If the pipe has been replaced, use a M12 bolt to plug the hole and use a 2.2 kΩ resistor in the harness to prevent another CEL.
    Should I get a new down pipe? Ill be tryin the 2.2k resistor solution tomorrow along with new plugs and checking the coilpacks, Are these very serious cel codes? Should I not drive it until I fix them? Are all of them really from the exhaust? Im sorry im new to this im not sure what creeping is? is that where the exhaust has too much air flow? thank you much for your input and help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the CEL flashing and fans cycling?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Is the CEL flashing and fans cycling?
    fans cycling, The CEL isnt flashing its on all the time and has never gone away.
    Thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the green diagnostic connectors under the dash are together. They need to be disconnected if they are.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I'm intrigued by the turbo timer lighting up red when the car backfires. There should be absolutely no corelation between those 2 events. Very odd unless the TT is picking up CEL codes or something.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes if the fans are cycling I'd look at the connectors. I wonder how modified the car was originally, having presumably some sort of EM plus a MBC I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely check the diagnostic connectors.

After that, get rid of the manual boost controller and return it to stock. Then, get rid of the turbo timer. Each of these things are hurting your car more than helping. The MBC without a tune is a VERY bad idea, and the turbo timer is just not needed, not even remotely. Are you sure it's not an AFC as well? That could explain the red lighting, could be noticing a lean condition and the read light is its attempt to alert you to it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Definitely check the diagnostic connectors.

After that, get rid of the manual boost controller and return it to stock. Then, get rid of the turbo timer. Each of these things are hurting your car more than helping. The MBC without a tune is a VERY bad idea, and the turbo timer is just not needed, not even remotely. Are you sure it's not an AFC as well? That could explain the red lighting, could be noticing a lean condition and the read light is its attempt to alert you to it.
    I beleive it is running very lean because I can smell it, I disconnected my battery the other night for cleaning the terminals and it reset the computer, drove for about 28 mies and came back on, used my friends obd2 scanner and its only throwing p0136 now. Then found out he had the two 02 sensors unplugged and there was no 02 sensors on the other end? obvious of why its throwing the p0136 code now. how do you fix it from running so lean? I wanna take off the MBC but I want to turn it back down to stock boost but im not sure how as there are no directions on the MBC. Also where do i find the diagnostic connectors? Soory im very new to this, but thank you guys for all the help

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayn3 Zalenski View Post
    Then found out he had the two 02 sensors unplugged and there was no 02 sensors on the other end?
    Have no idea what your talking about. What other end? The WRX's only have 2 O2 sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayn3 Zalenski View Post
    how do you fix it from running so lean? I wanna take off the MBC but I want to turn it back down to stock boost but im not sure how as there are no directions on the MBC. Also where do i find the diagnostic connectors? Soory im very new to this, but thank you guys for all the help
    Take the car to a professional tuning shop that deals with Subarus. It needs a professional look over and probably a tune. Why did you buy a modded car that already had an issue?
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Have no idea what your talking about. What other end? The WRX's only have 2 O2 sensors.
    Take the car to a professional tuning shop that deals with Subarus. It needs a professional look over and probably a tune. Why did you buy a modded car that already had an issue?
    Sorry what i ment was that both o2 were unplugged and nothing on the other end where the actual o2 sensor is where it goes into the exhaust, it was cut off. I bought with the knowledge of on the p0136 code, car is straight and clean with new tranny and motor swap with papers for what i think was a good price $7k. Im gonna make a video of what it does while i drive and ill make a link. thanks donkey

I Support ClubWRX
    A video isn't going to help. It needs the front O2 sensor and a professional look over. The front O2 sensor is a critical engine sensor. The car probably is not even tuned for those mods.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S