I need help to figure out whats broken.

This is a discussion on I need help to figure out whats broken. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a while back I described an issue I was having with getting my car into gear after shifting from ...

Unhappy I need help to figure out whats broken.

So a while back I described an issue I was having with getting my car into gear after shifting from 1st...

Now I have encountered a bigger problem. A few weeks ago my car popped out of 3rd and would not go into any gear at all. I managed to get it off the street then towed home but haven't gotten to look at it since then (rainy weather).

Today I finally took a look. I am able to move the shifter like normal and after fiddling with it I am able to get it into some select gears.

1st gear - works but it takes a bit of effort to get into.
    2nd gear - I can move into the correct position but it seems to be gone. (no response from the car when clutch is released.)
    3rd gear - Grinds when I try to put it into gear with or without the clutch being pressed.
    4th gear - Works fine.
    5th gear - works fine
    Reverse - works fine.

-- 2002 WRX sedan (145k miles) --

Can anyone help me determine what I am looking at as far as what needs to be fixed/replaced?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a trans rebuild is in your immediate future. Likely a bent shift fork, and maybe a synchro problem with 1st gear.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Drain the tranny and see what comes out. If you find teeth then you know it was from being shock loaded and if you find brass shavings then the synchro is gone.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S