SLIPPING CLUTCH
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SLIPPING CLUTCH within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; time for a new clutch, has been slipping for the past week or so. car cant hook up at all. ...

SLIPPING CLUTCH

time for a new clutch, has been slipping for the past week or so. car cant hook up at all. it's a 02 wrx with sti top mount, vf39 and pink injectors with a pro tune. lookin for some advice on what clutch to use but want something strong, very.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd use the OEM again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yup, just go with the OEM again. Why put a strong clutch on it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i heard of some ppl going with the sti oem. do you know if that would work or even fit. and you have any clue how much a new clutch is gonna run me

i just want something strong that will last something i can beat on and not have to worry about replacing another

Quote Originally Posted by vr4drivin View Post
    i just want something strong that will last something i can beat on and not have to worry about replacing another
    With the bug eye, you want the clutch to be the weak point in the drive line, not the trans itself, go with OEM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4drivin
    i heard of some ppl going with the sti oem. do you know if that would work or even fit. and you have any clue how much a new clutch is gonna run me
    It does not work, WRX/STI clutches are different P/Ns

Quote Originally Posted by vr4drivin
    The stronger a clutch, the harder it is on the transmission. A clutch is cheaper to replace than a transmission.

You should be buying the "weakest" clutch with proper torque capacity. Likely, an OE replacement or Exedy Organic clutch would be adequate. You also need to factor in the cost of a new flywheel.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I had put a Centerforce dual friction Kevlar clutch in my Tacoma 4x4 10 years ago. I loved it, but that was also a whole different vehicle.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The stronger a clutch, the harder it is on the transmission. A clutch is cheaper to replace than a transmission.

You should be buying the "weakest" clutch with proper torque capacity. Likely, an OE replacement or Exedy Organic clutch would be adequate. You also need to factor in the cost of a new flywheel.
    + 7 hundred million

Why are you beating on your clutch to start with?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

thanks for the advice. whats the best set up for the wrx clutch/ flywheel should i go lightened

I Support ClubWRX
    I would use the OEM flywheel.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

anyone been thru the dealer for a full clutch replace, how much was it.

Should i replace the flywheel at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by vr4drivin View Post
    Should i replace the flywheel at the same time?
    There's usually no need to replace the flywheel, if the clutch was chattering or was overheated you can usually just get it resurfaced. If it wasn't chattering, I would just replace the clutch, pressure plate, and bearing

got the new clutch in, very different from befor, it takes alomost no force to push petal in. Is this normal. oem was put in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.