Subaru Overheating!!!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Overheating!!!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks mate! You have been great! I will let you know how i get on tomorrow! Wish me luck! :-D...

Thanks mate! You have been great! I will let you know how i get on tomorrow! Wish me luck! :-D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck and remember, simple things first. From your initial description, it's likely just air in the system, not an obstruction and not the thermostat. Focus on the simple first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Good luck and remember, simple things first. From your initial description, it's likely just air in the system, not an obstruction and not the thermostat. Focus on the simple first.
    Hi mate,
    Right......changed the thermostat and burped the system looked like it had worked then slowly temp went up to 2/3 and stayed there...but as my mate who helped me has suggested (ex mechanic) the water pump coz when we push the car hard and get full boost the temp goes down and heaters blow hot but when we drive slow and stop heaters go cold. Obviously without pressure and boost the water pump doesn't work and no water circulates but when we push and get hard boost the water must get forced around.. What do you think?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are getting circulation and it's not making wild animal noises at startup, and the water pump is not seeping, it should be working.

A water pump is not trivial to replace and is best done in the context of a timing belt job IMO.

Are you getting circulation (did you see circulation when burping)?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you are getting circulation and it's not making wild animal noises at startup, and the water pump is not seeping, it should be working.

A water pump is not trivial to replace and is best done in the context of a timing belt job IMO.

Are you getting circulation (did you see circulation when burping)?
    I tried burping the system, when I pushed and squeezed top hose the header tank seemed to rise...after driving the car we opened the rad cap on header tank and there was a lot of pressure...we tried doing it again car seemed to be ok for a few mins we took her out boosted her and after taking it steady the car temp Rose slowly then if I put foot down the temp goes down. The radiator was still cold and expansion tank full. I didn't hear any crazy noises..is that paramount for a broken one could you not have a quiet one? If it was totally bust? Surely if it was HG the temp wouldn't go down the harder I drove it! I'm at a loss! Do u think it's a waste of money changing water pump? My dad thinks it is too. The pipes going into car for heater matrix inside...one pipe is hot and one is stone cold. That normal???

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know about the heater pipes, sorry.

Did you see circulation while you were burping the system? That is, did the thermostat open and did the coolant begin flowing through the radiator?

We checked thermostat it worked we checked new one too fine too. It has new thermostat in it now...yeh I think? I'm not sure now... :-S I think there was circulation but can't be sure I think it did. But still the radiator was stone cold expansion tank filled...I will try and manually burp system again on my own tomorrow night as we only did it twice...but when we did it first time no air bubbles came out? I really am at a loss..I hate this car so much! I just haven't got the money to fix it at the moment..luckily I live in city centre and walk to work or I'd be screwed!

I'm having the same problem. Had the car for a year and it just started over heating. Already replaced the thermostat and still same problem. There is no oil in coolant and no cooland in oil. I believe the guy who looked at my car said it was a head gasket leak and It seemed to me like he was burping the radiator at the time. Im going to try it on my own with the instructions here and ill post the results as well. In the meantime, i've posted a video of my engine. are the hoses on the radiator hooked up wrong cause I noticed mine is very different from a stock 03 wrx. I bought the car with this radiator installed.

Draco its a nightmare isnt it? U get in the car and you honestly think to yourself "please dont break down!" Its the worst feeling in the world when you dont trust your car. Im having a skint January and honestly this car has made me miserable! In your case does your car lose coolant? Are your heaters always cold or hot then cold then hot...? Have u tried boosting her when she starts to get hot to see if she cools down? I know your pobably worried about doing that as i was but it worked! Does your temp guage go into red? Mine goes up to 2/3's...

Thats the strangest thing about all this to me is that when you push the car she gets cooler and more efficient. But if you take your time she over heats?! :-S my mate who's a mechanic had the theory last night that coz its a turbo car it runs with pressure, when she's not under load he thinks the water pump isnt doing its job and isnt circulating water around engine or heater matrix...But when i put the hammer down it forces the water to go through the pump circultaing...BUT its just a theory.

Draco that is what I like to see. You have taken a good video and I see some problems with your setup.

There are two hoses that come out of the turbo reservoir. The outer one should be plugged into the left side of your radiator. Do you have some sort of plug on the left hand corner of the radiator? The inner hose should run over the the overflow reservoir. There is a tube coming out of the right side of the radiator and it should go to the overflow reservoir as well. Here is a pic of my setup. I can get more pics of the turbo reservoir later if you still need help.

I like how you took that video. It helps me help you.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

A nightmare indeed. I have spent hours on every site to look for advise and to look at any cost of parts I might need. I have to say this site has helped me the best. Im about to take the car out for a drive to see if the burping method described here worked. Ill let you guys know. Yes I actually do boost it a bit cause it pisses me off and it does help a bit. I know when it's about to over heat when the air starts to blow cold.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus_5384 View Post
    We checked thermostat it worked we checked new one too fine too. It has new thermostat in it now...yeh I think? I'm not sure now... :-S I think there was circulation but can't be sure I think it did. But still the radiator was stone cold expansion tank filled...I will try and manually burp system again on my own tomorrow night as we only did it twice...but when we did it first time no air bubbles came out? I really am at a loss..I hate this car so much! I just haven't got the money to fix it at the moment..luckily I live in city centre and walk to work or I'd be screwed!
    OK at least you can get to work. At this point I'm at a loss too and I'd take it to a garage, describe the symptoms, and ask for a pressure test.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    A nightmare indeed. I have spent hours on every site to look for advise and to look at any cost of parts I might need. I have to say this site has helped me the best. Im about to take the car out for a drive to see if the burping method described here worked. Ill let you guys know. Yes I actually do boost it a bit cause it pisses me off and it does help a bit. I know when it's about to over heat when the air starts to blow cold.
    If you have circulation, not leaks, and no obstructions, it should work.

Good luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Draco that is what I like to see. You have taken a good video and I see some problems with your setup.

There are two hoses that come out of the turbo reservoir. The outer one should be plugged into the left side of your radiator. Do you have some sort of plug on the left hand corner of the radiator? The inner hose should run over the the overflow reservoir. There is a tube coming out of the right side of the radiator and it should go to the overflow reservoir as well. Here is a pic of my setup. I can get more pics of the turbo reservoir later if you still need help.

I like how you took that video. It helps me help you.
    I would appreciate a pic of the turbo reservoir for sure. My radiator does not have a top left outlet for the outer turbo hose. This is something I have took note of too and yes, even my radiator hoses are obviously hooked up way different than your picture. I can make the extra modification to the rad reservoir but I do think I have to buy a new radiator since there is now outlet on the top left side of my radiator.

Is it possible to make the outlet on the top left side of my radiator? Take it to a place and have them weld an outlet?

To: SD_GR "If you have circulation, not leaks, and no obstructions, it should work. "

I was thinking the same thing since i've had it for a year now and until now it started over heating. Here are some pics of how I've seen all other setups of their radiator.

So what do you guys think a good fix would be? Is the setup possible to work if I leave it? Get the system flushed? Or new radiator with the upper left outlet?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have functional pressure relief from a rad cap, and going only from what I see via the internet -- never having seen your car in person etc. -- I think that at least in theory it should work. People tee the relief lines together (for example, when they add a newer style radiator with a cap to an older car that, like mine, did not have a cap on the radiator). See if you can find a pic of a 04+ engine bay with enough detail to make out what Subaru did with the lines when they switched the cars to two rad caps if you are interested in the stock-style solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast