2011 WRX made a loud thunk when put into reverse
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX made a loud thunk when put into reverse within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys - new the forum and just picked up a 2011 WRX hatch earlier this month. I just got ...

2011 WRX made a loud thunk when put into reverse

Hey guys - new the forum and just picked up a 2011 WRX hatch earlier this month. I just got back from a 6 day trip where the car had not been used, started her up this morning to reverse out of my driveway and the car made a loud thunk sound. Shifted to first and had no problems/no abnormal sounds on my drive to work. Not sure if this has something to do with it being at or below freezing recently and the car not being used. Any feedback would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its normal. my car (MY 2010) has done it since day one. its just the drive train. subarus are known for the thunk. mine always does it after i back out of my drive way and pull forward in 1st gear. annoying but normal.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    its normal. my car (MY 2010) has done it since day one. its just the drive train. subarus are known for the thunk. mine always does it after i back out of my drive way and pull forward in 1st gear. annoying but normal.
    Thanks man - I thought it might be normal, but wanted to make sure. I never seemed to notice it on my 2000 RS, maybe it's something with the newer ones that I'll just need to get used to.

My 2011 makes a thunk when cold starting and going into reverse, but I believe its due to the abs check/hill hold feature. I've read other 2011's doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by revhq View Post
    Hey guys - new the forum and just picked up a 2011 WRX hatch earlier this month. I just got back from a 6 day trip where the car had not been used, started her up this morning to reverse out of my driveway and the car made a loud thunk sound. Shifted to first and had no problems/no abnormal sounds on my drive to work. Not sure if this has something to do with it being at or below freezing recently and the car not being used. Any feedback would be great
    If it sat for a while in moist conditions with the e-brake pulled.. could have had a little rust accumulate on the rear rotors/pads .. happened to mine recently after some wet/snow weather driving and sitting for a couple days in the garage. Went to leave and it made a solid "thunk" noise and then no further problems. I have all the rear end stiffening bushings in place so for mine I know it was the brakes instead of the driveline.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

yeah, my 2011 does this thunk too, only in reverse, usually when the steering is turned - doesnt do it all the time, and seems to be after its been standing for a while - supposed to me the abs/hill feature checking itself. Why i hear it in the rear is beyond me. My 2007 Altima did that, although the thunk came from the passenger side front wheel area..........

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.